Andean Hominy & Pumpkin Seed Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 16, 2019
Brentwood CA
Finally feeling good enough to after getting over Covid
Made some soup: pork, hominy, pumpkin seeds, homemade turkey stock, red & yellow onion, garlic. ancho chile powder, cumin, cream, oregano, salt & pepper

Still not going out in public so instead of lime wedges and jalapenos (didn't have any) I improvised.
Andean Soup 6.JPG

Andean Soup 7.JPG

Mmmm! That looks so tasty! I’m glad you’re feeling better, crushing it with soups like that will heal ya!

Reactions: ofelles
indaswamp indaswamp
I assume it's cultural but just how authentic I'm not sure. From a Rancho Gordo post a number of years ago with mods in RED.

Andean Hominy & Pumpkin Seed Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of Rancho Gordo prepared hominy, soaked 6 to8 hours
Meat
  • 2½ -3 pounds pork shoulder or boneless butt, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 ham hock
  • 2 quarts water or chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
Cooking Sauce
  • 4 tbsp achiote-infused corn oil or your choice of oil (see note below)
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • ½ small white onion, finely chopped
  • ½ small red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp Ancho chile powder
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
Thickener
  • 1½ cups ½&½ or cream (I used cream)
  • ½ cup pumpkin seeds, hulled and roasted
  • 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
Preparation:
  1. Hominy: (I used water and chicken stock) Change water and cook gently until fully cooked. The hominy will have some tooth and be soft and not falling apart, about 1½ -3 hours. Remove from heat and set aside.
  1. Meat: (I smoked the pork to 140F and didn't brown it) Brown pork in skillet, reserve any fat. Place the pork and hock, water (I used homemade turkey stock) , salt and pepper in a medium pot and cook partly covered, over medium heat, until fork-tender, about 1¼ hours if using pork shoulder or butt, 45 minutes if using pork chops.
  1. Cooking Sauce: Heat the reserved fat and achiote-oil in the 12" skillet over medium heat until rippling. Add the onion and cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until golden, about 20 seconds. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. When meat is tender, stir the sauce into the pot and add the hominy. Bring to a gentle simmer.
  1. Thickener: Meanwhile, place the cream and pumpkin seeds in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
  1. Finishing the Soup: Remove hock and allow it to cool, then remove meat and add back to soup. Meanwhile, stir the pumpkin seeds mixture into the pot bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 20 to 25 minutes, until the soup thickens slightly. Sprinkle with the oregano just before serving. Serve with jalapeños and lime wedges

Note: Achiote-infused corn oil:
    Heat the 1 cup oil and 2 tbsp annatto seeds in small skillet over med. heat just until the seeds give off a steady sizzle. (Don't overheat the mixture or seeds will turn black and the oil a nasty green) Once sizzling, pull pan from heat and let stand until the sizzling stops. Strain as much of the oil as you are going to use right away into the pan; store the rest for up to 4 days at room temp in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
Modified RanchoGordo.Com: 'Gran Cocina Latina' by Maricel Presilla- WW Norton, October 2012 Norton Publishing.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky