And The Enabling Continues: Hey Civilsmoker, I Got A New Toy (Couple Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cool saw but surprised there is a cloth "dust" catcher on it..
I can hear ( mostly ringing ) that thing screaming from here . Good Lord be careful . Used one daily for years . Mostly the hand held ones . Cut 16 and 12 gauge mostly , but also had the blades that would cut 1/2 " thick brick lintels and plate . They cut like butter when the blade is new . For a few cuts anyway .
Cool saw but surprised there is a cloth "dust" catcher on it.
The ones I used had a catch compartment on them . Had to open it up and dump it out .
1/4 " kerf of metal chips ads up fast . That was when The Evolution first came out . The 12 " hand held was a brute . You better have it together when using any of them , but that 12 " would cut your damn leg off on a kick back .

Reactions: kilo charlie
Very nice, Robert, you will love that saw. I have used one like it as well as a band saw. Each has its place and purpose, but I like the chop saw best. That will be a big asset for you on your metal projects...

..and a plasma cutter, tig outfit for sure. Heck, who doesn't want a home foundry, a big blue hammer and a gas forge to go with it.
Funny enough I almost never use my plasma cutter. I'm so used to the torch it gets used 99% of the time. Likewise with a tig welder. I wouldn't mind having one again, but 99% of my welding is either stick or dual shield flux core. But then again you probably aren't working on cats and rock crushers in your garage.

If you really want to make people stop and stare, I found nothing does that like a really big milling machine. Heck I still smile every time I look at my #4 Cincinnati vertical. Even though it's torn apart for a new clutch right now.....

Reactions: pit 4 brains
Oh man Robert! That will make fab work quick! I don't need one, I don't need one, I don't need one! And the recent mini mill acquisition really means I don't need one!

I'm looking forward to what you do with it!

Last edited:
That thing is a beast. Cant wait to see you put it to use!
Thanks jim. I'm working on a project now that will hopefully be finished in a couple days. I'll post it up.
You can do a lot with that saw Robert, I used a 10" Makita for the compound angles involved with ceiling molding, was a money maker. Be careful!
Yes sir Ray. If you look to the right of the saw in the pic you'll see a top shelf Bosch 10" dual compound cross cut miter saw. That thing is a jewel!! We took our Christmas vacation in '13 and did all the trim work in the house. Took us a week and a half but we did a nice job...and there is a LOT of trim in here. All windows cased out, chair rail, 8" crown mold throughout, and all the closets are custom designed (by me of course) for maximum efficiency.
Cool saw but surprised there is a cloth "dust" catcher on it... seems like a potential fire hazard?
Not really a problem as far as fire potential. The blades create very little heat, sparks, or friction. No danger at all of a fire getting started. Great observation though.

Robert

Way to go Robert. Nice saw. Now we go down the "shop tool" rabbit hole. I have absolutely no "Force" when it comes to shop gadgets.
I'm with you Dave!! Been a tool junkie my whole life. Over the years I've amassed a rather extensive collection of stuff. Heck, I still (not Stihl) have the first circular saw I bought when I was 18. Black and Decker industrial Sawcat. That was back in the day when B&D made really good, commercial grade tools. That saw is 42 years old and still runs strong. I did retire it though and got a nice DeWalt several years ago.
Hello. My name is Sherry and I am a tool junkie.
HI SHERRY!! I'm Robert and I'm a tool junkie too. When I designed the house I had a 1500 square foot attached garage built, and guess what? It's full!! Shelves full of tools everywhere, tools on the floor too big to go on shelves, it's bad :emoji_wink:
great looking saw!! got me thinking now....
Thanks but from experience please let me give some advice. Don't start thinking. Seems like every time I do I either spend a lot of $$ or I get in trouble with Tracy:emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: tbern and SherryT
Oy. Don't get me started on tools! lol!
I know you have the bug too. We've shared a lot of tool info over the years.
You have NO idea!
Oh yes I do :emoji_wink:
Thank god I never got invited into a Snap On truck!!
That wouldn't be a big issue for me. I have a nice collection of mechanic's tools but that's not really my forte. For years it was woodworking, not it's metal fabricating, cooking, and so on. you get the idea :emoji_astonished:

Robert

We know, we knooooooow...
I'm not sexist in any way so please don't take this as condescending but you are the first lady that I've ever communicated with who is a tool junkie. Seen lots of women obsessed with many things but never tools. Speaking of "first lady", if you ran for president I'd vote for you!!
Now you just need a cutting torch and a milling machine
Nah. Cool concepts but not what I'm looing to get into. I did look into plasma cutters and such but decided it wasn't worth it. Also, being limited on space I have to be careful what I buy.

Robert

That's spelt STIHL...lol
BWA HAA HAA!! That's funny....but also a cheap shot (unintentional of course) because several years ago Tracy finally saw the value in good tools. I had a bunch of junk gas powered yard tools and when they started to die, I've been replacing them with Still products. To date I probably have 15 Stihl gas powered landscape tools, chain saws, blowers, brush cutters, etc...
I can hear ( mostly ringing ) that thing screaming from here . Good Lord be careful .
Gotta tell you Rich, that thing is sweet!! Been using it for the angle cuts on the new project I'm working on and using the forst one for straight cuts. Been a dream thus far!!
Very nice, Robert, you will love that saw.
Very true Charles. I'm already in love with it :emoji_wink:
Oh man Robert! That will make fab work quick!
You ain't just a'kidding!! What a huge difference. first saw I've ever had with the laser on it but that is a super nice addition and saves a ton of time lining the material up for the cut.
I don't need one, I don't need one, I don't need one!
Yes you do, yes you do, yes you do.

Robert

TXS, Nice toy, now you have to buy a portable stand to go with that. Almost looks like the Rigid stand would fit that saw !

I'm not sexist in any way so please don't take this as condescending but you are the first lady that I've ever communicated with who is a tool junkie. Seen lots of women obsessed with many things but never tools. Speaking of "first lady", if you ran for president I'd vote for you!!

Nah. Cool concepts but not what I'm looing to get into. I did look into plasma cutters and such but decided it wasn't worth it. Also, being limited on space I have to be careful what I buy.

Robert

You're not being sexist, IMO...there are a lot of us out there, but usually not on the same forums as the guys.

I'm a craft/hobby junkie, and all those crafts/hobbies require tools of some sort...sewing machines, kitchen/outdoor machines/utensils/tools, jewelry-making/metalworking, gardening, woodworking, building/construction, etc.

As you can see, I have many interests...I enjoy working with my hands AND it keeps me busy. I'll be 63 later this month and I REFUSE to simply sit down and wait until old age takes me. :emoji_wink:

ETA -I would LOVE to get my hands on a welder! Oh, the things I could make (after bribing my BIL with much smoked/charred meat to teach me how to actually USE a welder, that is)!

Last edited:
TXS, Nice toy, now you have to buy a portable stand to go with that. Almost looks like the Rigid stand would fit that saw
Nah, don't need another one thank you :emoji_wink: If you look all the way in the back of the garage you'll see my Bosch miter saw sitting on a Delta Kickstand. It's just a pain to get it out for small stuff so I just put the new saw on the rolling cart. Much easier....and I don't really have room for any more large toys unfortunately.

Robert

You're not being sexist, IMO..
Thank you. I had a feeling that you wouldn't take that the wrong way. You seem to be pretty level-headed and see things as they are intended and not put a lot of drama into something where it doesn't belong :emoji_wink:
I'm a craft/hobby junkie, and all those crafts/hobbies require tools of some sort...sewing machines, kitchen/outdoor machines/utensils/tools, jewelry-making/metalworking, gardening, woodworking, building/construction, etc.
Wow...so many similarities. You know what I'm into for the most part and many of those things you noted. Tracy has 5 college degrees and two of them are Horticulture and Landscape Design with a specialty in native Texas. Her yard is her passion. I swear, our place makes the White House lawn look like Fred Sanford's place. She is also HUGE into crafting, quilting, and a bunch of other things.
I'll be 63 later this month and I REFUSE to simply sit down and wait until old age takes me. :emoji_wink:
I'll be 60 in a few weeks and when I grow up, I wanna be just like you :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
ETA -I would LOVE to get my hands on a welder!
Seriously? I have an extra one that is in perfect working order. Got a little bit of paint over-spray on it but it's yours if you'd like to have it. I got a new Lincoln welder a couple weeks ago and the other one is just sitting there not being used.

Robert

Thank you. I had a feeling that you wouldn't take that the wrong way. You seem to be pretty level-headed and see things as they are intended and not put a lot of drama into something where it doesn't belong :emoji_wink:

Wow...so many similarities. You know what I'm into for the most part and many of those things you noted. Tracy has 5 college degrees and two of them are Horticulture and Landscape Design with a specialty in native Texas. Her yard is her passion. I swear, our place makes the White House lawn look like Fred Sanford's place. She is also HUGE into crafting, quilting, and a bunch of other things.

I'll be 60 in a few weeks and when I grow up, I wanna be just like you :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Oh no...I don't do drama...life's much too short for all that nonsense.

I wish I had some "formal" training in gardening...most of what I know, I learned from my GGM or the internet. Nowadays, hardly anyone around here gardens anymore and a lot of the "good" info about gardening here, in THIS area, has been lost. I guess people have worked themselves into the "busy" corner and don't have time to fool with it anymore (not saying that's right or wrong...just an observation).

Seriously? I have an extra one that is in perfect working order. Got a little bit of paint over-spray on it but it's yours if you'd like to have it. I got a new Lincoln welder a couple weeks ago and the other one is just sitting there not being used.

Robert

GASP!

I don't even know how to ask the question...is it stick/MIG/spot/flux core (see? I'd be starting from square one).

I don't even know how to ask the question...is it stick/MIG/spot/flux core (see? I'd be starting from square one).
It is flux core and you MUST use flux core wire. This does not have the availability of using shielding gas. It is currently on sale, which it wasn't when I bought it, but here is the unit. If you would like to get hands on it, I'll send a PM with some additional info and a couple of Q's. There is nothing at all wrong with the unit, I just needed a better one with all the projects I got hit with. What started as a basic once-in-a-while hobby turned into a full-blown manufacturing process.

Robert

Robert, I haven't gone to a 220 but I have the Forney Easy Weld 140 FC-i Flux-Core Wire Welder, it's a 20-amp 120 welder but it will hold a 2lb or 10lb spool which is a must for lots of welding. I think it's one of the better 120 welders available for the money and capacity, it will do up to 1/4" single pass. I do most of my welding outside so flux core is preferred with the wind I deal with. Anyway, just passing it along.

I forgot to ask what is your new welder?

Last edited:
It is flux core and you MUST use flux core wire. This does not have the availability of using shielding gas. It is currently on sale, which it wasn't when I bought it, but here is the unit. If you would like to get hands on it, I'll send a PM with some additional info and a couple of Q's. There is nothing at all wrong with the unit, I just needed a better one with all the projects I got hit with. What started as a basic once-in-a-while hobby turned into a full-blown manufacturing process.

Robert
Yes, please! It seems like it would be a good one for someone like me who wants to learn!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky