And so it begins... w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ps0303

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Tampa,FL
Started prepping for my sons going away party.  Party is on Friday but need to get these out of the way in case something comes up and I get side tracked. Picked up 4 butts, 2 were about 8.6lbs and 2 were just over 8lbs.

Rubbed, wrapped, resting till 0500 tomorrow when I plan to start smoking them.

a3afc602_026.jpg

a333e25e_028.jpg

345f6f56_030.jpg

Ahhhh,  the pork mother load.   Did mine for the office last week.   Keep us updated and have a great time.

You going to go low and slow or a fast cook?  I thought it might be fast since you indicated you were starting at 5:00am.

Low and slow is what I intend. I need to be done before wednesday morning as I have some work to do and can't watch over it wednesday. I'm hoping I can get these done in 18 hours.

btw, should I bring the butts up to room temp before placing on the smoker?

Last edited:
So I'm about three hours in and the smoker temp has been pretty consistent on the readings, 225-230.  I placed this probe thru the chimney stack.  You might be able to see it in the photo.  However the meat temp probe, see photo for where I have it, is reading 127. Does this seem about right?  Seems kind of high for only three hours into this.

6b288b64_001.jpg

Looks tasty already.

Last edited:
no 127 after 3 hours isnt too high.  Some people believe you want it out of the "danger zone" (40-140) in the first few hours of the cook, but thats a whole nother arguement.  

Either way your good
icon14.gif
  As the meat cooks its IT will climb more and more slowly.  Just remember its done when its done!  And when their done make sure you get some time foiled and wrapping in a cooler for a couple hours
icon_wink.gif

Looking good to me - you are well on the way to some fine pulled pork.

To answer a couple of questions all at once.....

I usually fire up a chimney of charcoal for my WSM and then start the prep of my shoulders.  Only takes a minute to trim the thick fat off and apply rub.  By then the chimney is ready. So I don't let my shoulders sit around at all before smoking and they are usually in the 35* range when they hit the grate.

The rule as I understand it is to get the meat above 140 degrees in the first 4 hours unless it is chemically cured.  More important for ground meats as you have a lot of surface area potentially exposed to contaminants during the grinding and shaping process.  With a solid uncut muscle like a shoulder it's the outside surface that matters most not the core, so time is less of an issue.

As to 18 hour smokes, sometimes it takes longer.  95% of the time I can bring in 4 eight pound shoulders in 18 hours at 225* in my WSM.  Last week it took 22 hours so go figure.  Sometimes the meat wants to stall and you just have to wait it out or bump up the temps a little.

As to probe placement, I probably would have used a middle rack shoulder and would think in a LP smoker the lower rack may tend to run a bit hot. But you would know your smoker and how it performs better than I as I'm using a WSM and not a LP model.  By my calculations you should be about 15 hours in on the smoke now,  if you get this post in time, take a reading in each of the shoulders and see if they are all running about the same.  Don't sweat it if they are off a little as shoulders are very forgiving.  It's also not unheard of to have to pull shoulders at different times based on internal temps.  Depending on who you ask, anywhere between 195 and 205 is good to go (I usually pull mine at 200).

And like Nrok2118 said, foil them and let them rest in a cooler for at least an hour (IMO two to three hours is better, but that's just my opinion and not based on any factual testing).  The internal temp will rise a little and the juices will redistribute.  Then let the feasting begin....

Last edited:
Well I finished them up around 1am this morning.  They looked great.

I just finished pulling them and the meat is awesome! However, it has

come to my wifes mind that we don't have enough! We have 

about 50 people coming. The cooked weight is 17 pounds.

So I have been sent to the store to get two more shoulders.

I will smoke them tonight into tomorrow.  I need advice on how

to make it through the night while smoking and getting some

sleep.

I will post pics of the currently finished ones soon.

Coffee & M&M's!

Good luck!

Actually if you have enough sides 17 pounds may be enough for 50 people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky