Analog vrs digital temp gauges ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I put a brisket on the Brazos at 5 am this morning. Its now 6:23 am. You will see in this pic , my analog gauges reading from 275 lower left to 285 or so on the right and one in the lid is about 285. I got no problem with those differences.

But I'm gonna add a pic of my Thermoworks digital temp, with the probe on the cooking grate that is not 2 inches away from the Tel Tru on the lower left.

This is not an isolated occurence. Its every cook. I gotta think the three analog gauges telling me I'm cooking around 280, are correct. And I've tested the gauges and the probes in boiling water. Its a mystery to me.

IMG_20200606_062156_hdr.jpg
IMG_20200606_062218_hdr.jpg

I'm three hours into the cook, deep into the stall. I opened it up to look at it for the first time. And I moved the digital probe a couple of inches. Its now within 5 degrees of the Tel Tru.

Before I lifted the lid, the digital was reading 40* higher than the Tel Tru.

Thats amazing. But I feel better about my cook. I've been cooking by the Tel Tru.

Well, I'm still not sure.

If all three analog gauges are pretty much in agreement. And the digital is reading 40* hotter. Then I move the digital a small amount and it agrees with the analogs .......... then it must've been the placement of the digital.

That's all I can figure. IDK what causes this.

All I did to the digital, was move it over one " hole " in the expanded metal grate. I have a clip that holds the probe. I just moved the clip one hole and amazing diff.

All that said, I just smoked an 8.5 # brisket in a little over 5 hours. That bothers me a lot . Makes me wonder what my cook temp really was.

Any advantage to a 4" stem on a Tel-Tru, as opposed to the 2.5" stem ?

There is laminar air flow inside a smoker... colder near the skin... warmer in the center..
That's routine...
Use the gauges as a guide...

Where is the probe in the cooker? You may have found a hotspot. The cooker itself will conduct a fair amount of heat near the firebox.

Where is the probe in the cooker? You may have found a hotspot. The cooker itself will conduct a fair amount of heat near the firebox.

The digital probe was right next to the Tel Tru on the lower left in the pic above. I place it as close as I can get to that Tel Tru, cuz I use that Tel Tru to cook.

I only put the digital probe in the cooker so I can use Thermoworks Gateway to create a chart of my cooking temps. I had a pork butt cook a couple weeks ago and the digital and Tel Tru ran pretty close together, even though at the start of the cook I had placed one of the butts too close to the 4" stem on the Tel Tru. Once i adjusted the butts , the digital and analog pretty much agreed.

On this cook, I had put a 2.5" Tel Tru in that lower left spot, to avoid getting it too close to the brisket. I'm going back to 4" .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky