An A-Maze-N Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
An Amaze-N- Review

Packaging:

Very well packaged with the sawdust packages and butane lighter arranged over the smoker, offering added protection during shipping. SD packages were in sturdy, clear, re-sealable packages that are well labeled. Good printed instructions were included. Instructions are easy to understand, not like a high tech user’s manual.

173786ff_packaged.jpg

7bb5cacf_AMS2.jpg

b47c2c7c_AMS1.jpg

Design:

Very compact, making it easy to place within most smoker types/cabinets. On the bottom it has two rail-like legs, which will keep the smoker above it’s platform, allowing for better distribution of air circulation. Row are evenly spaced, for more uniform burns. Lighting holes are well placed, and easy to access.

Workmanship:

Very good construction, there are no sharp burrs or edges, the corners have clean edges. The smoker is of good weight, and is made of a good gauge of stainless steel. This is not a flimsy light unit that will easily be damaged in a short time, or rust out. Good life expectancy.

Control: Smoker was placed at the bottom of my GOSM big block and no water pan was used. The top vent was wide open; both bottom vents were wide open. The smoker door remained closed. Burning was done with two side by side rows, using Mesquite sawdust in both rows. When I started the smoke, ambient temperature was 62°, humidity was 83% , and the wind was calm.

I prepared the cold smoker by putting it in the oven at 350° for 1 hour, in order to burn off any oily film from any manufacturing processing. I then ran it through the dishwasher for a final cleansing prior to use.

I placed a cookie sheet over the GOSM burner area, in the event that some burn residue might get on/near the burner. I then placed the A-Maze-N-Smoker on top of the cookie sheet.

4afceaf2_beforesmoke.jpg

5b270483_readytoburn.jpg

The food I smoked was some fire roasted and peeled green NM chile pods, thick onion slices, fresh peeled garlic cloves, and fresh tomatillo quarters. I covered the rack with parchment paper so that nothing could fall through, and the food wouldn’t pickup any possible flavors from a previous smoke. Why I choose these items?    I’m going to use them in a Chile Verde dish, but that’s another thread.

61e85b2a_shr.jpg

7a3b9fb3_4hr.jpg

9a9f3b27_smokewhisper.jpg

I lit the smoker and let in perform. One hour into the smoke, the ambient temp was 64°, humidity 78%, wind was calm, and only ¼ of a row had burned. The burn seemed to be going slow, but the humidity may be having an effect on the burn. So I decided to light the other row, and it started to smoke at what seemed to me like a better rate. At the two hour mark, ambient temp was 70°, humidity 65%, wind was calm. The two row burn completed in four hours.

Product Summary:

A product that is affordable, durable, practical, and useful for adding a smoke flavor to most foods without reaching a hot point when used as a cold smoker. I liked the fact that I was a steady burn throughout, with just the right amount of steady uninterrupted smoke. The different varieties of wood sawdust available is a plus. Like most smokes, the ambient weather conditions can effect the burn, Based on a rating of 1-10, I give it a 10.

Taste summary:

The chile pods had a very nice smoke flavor, the same for the garlic, and the surprise was the great taste of the tomatillo.   I had never smoked fresh tomatillo, but now it’ll be the way to go. The only other way I’d use tomatillo would be to smoke them, and them roast them in the oven. The foods did not lose any bite/heat from the smoke, as the chile and garlic still had the regular punch. The two row smoke suggest by Todd was spot on.

fe18776d_foodready.jpg

Hey Rich that was a great review. The smoke is so consistant on mine that I no longer use my chip box even for hot smokes and I love the tomatillo idea. I am gonna steal that one for sure

Thanks

Great review Rich. I use the AMNS in my bigblock as well. I have burned it from both ends before to get a heaver smoke going. 

Great Review Rich...  Like Scarbelly said, I use mine even on hot smokes...

Wow,

You learned a whole lot about that thing in a short time.

I've been using mine for months, and there isn't much I could add, other than info from the warm & hot smokes I used them on.

I could be wrong, but I think a score of 10 would come from just about anyone who has the pleasure of using one.

Very easy to understand & complete review too, Rich.

Thanks,

Bearcarver

Rich, that was awesome! You got me on the Tomatillos, Chile Verde will never be the same to me from now on. I just learned a new way.
points.gif

Thanks Rich!!

Rich PM'd me that he just wasn't getting enough smoke.  I told him to light both sides, and he had plenty of smoke.  Did not realize he had a GOSM Big Block.

Todd

OK, guys. All the great reviews on SMF have convinced me to retire my Smoke Pistol.  It did give me good smoke, but it takes too much attention to keep the output tube clear and adjust the pump speed. (I'm lazy. What can I say?).  I'll still use it on short smokes until I use up the bullets I have. I just ordered the A-MAZ-N package #2 plus some extra dust.  An American company with great customer service should be supported.

OK, guys. All the great reviews on SMF have convinced me to retire my Smoke Pistol.  It did give me good smoke, but it takes too much attention to keep the output tube clear and adjust the pump speed. (I'm lazy. What can I say?).  I'll still use it on short smokes until I use up the bullets I have. I just ordered the A-MAZ-N package #2 plus some extra dust.  An American company with great customer service should be supported.
You'll love it Native!

There are a few of us who got to be Todds testers and from day one we just loved it. I have 2 of them. One in my motorhome and one in my smoker. Once you get the unit follow the cleaning instructions, load the unit with dust to the top of the rails then with a light tamp to compact it and light it and enjoy.

I have 15# of chunks I don't know what to do with as I no longer use my smoke box

Great review!!! Just convinced me to order the #2 package and packages of reg. and specialty wood dust.  Love it when someone makes a quality product and works awesomely!!

The food I smoked was some fire roasted and peeled green NM chile pods, thick onion slices, fresh peeled garlic cloves, and fresh tomatillo quarters. I covered the rack with parchment paper so that nothing could fall through, and the food wouldn’t pickup any possible flavors from a previous smoke. Why I choose these items?    I’m going to use them in a Chile Verde dish, but that’s another thread.  
I've made chile verde several times -- but it never occured to me to make it with smoked ingredients.  Is it safe to assume that you use smoked pork in it as well?

Guess I wasn't smart enuf to think of an "Alias"...

Too busy grinding sawdust!

TJ

It is on my christmas list of things I have to have.....been a long time to have some items on there that I actually want instead of new socks and underwear....wife gets mad at me when I go outside to tend the smoker in my boxers and they have holes in em....

It is on my christmas list of things I have to have.....been a long time to have some items on there that I actually want instead of new socks and underwear....wife gets mad at me when I go outside to tend the smoker in my boxers and they have holes in em....
What is wrong with boxers with holes in them? I always tell Mrs Scar they have additional vents
96dda59f_noidea1.gif
ffbfaa19_noidea1.gif

LOL---Sometimes women just don't have any sense of humor. Mine gave up. She just shakes her head when I go out there with just my drawers on, or when I stop mowing to drain the dragon. I don't want to track grass clippings through the house! What the heck---The only one within a quarter mile is my son! What's the big deal!

Just no sense of humor,

Bear

I've made chile verde several times -- but it never occured to me to make it with smoked ingredients.  Is it safe to assume that you use smoked pork in it as well?
Your assumption is correct... but that's another post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky