AMNPS tube burning hot..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scwop291

Original poster
Jul 11, 2018
Hi Fellas,

I did a cold smoke trial on some bacon with the AMNPS tube smoke generator..and I use it in my SV 24...

I noticed smoke was billowing out of the smoker.. I cut it short in fear of over smoking.. and good thing.. it’s still too smoky but at least edible..

How can I achieve tbs?

I followed directions..filling it an inch from the end..

I lit it with a butane torch..

Thoughts?

I use a 12" tube with a MES 30 and mail box mod . It's to much to go inside the smoker . I mix mine with pellets and wood chips . Makes fantastic smoked flavor on ham and bacon . However ,,, I have to clean the tube after a long smoke . The holes get blocked up and block air flow , and makes nasty smoke . So make sure the tube is clean , and you have and good air flow .

Thanks for getting back..what’s a mailbox mod?

I actually didn’t clean my tube..thanks for the tip..

Maybe I’ll try that..

I haven't had much issues with any of the A-MAZE-N products other than keep them clean, I start them with a torch let them go for a few min then blow out the flame and let it go. But also the size of smoker and tube/tray come into play I think. I used the tray in my old fridge smoker and it produced a ton of smoke so I would cut back on how full I packed them. My 2¢.

I use both the tube and AMNPS regularly. The tube smoker does produce significantly more smoke than the AMNPS and also a lot more heat. I find that the tube is great for adding additional smoke when hot smoking but when cold smoking it produces too much heat and smoke when used in a small space. I can understand why it was too strong in your SV24.
I have a large converted commercial freezer that I use as my cold smoker and the tube is just about OK in there - though I only use it for things that I need to take heavy smoke - e.g. salt, oils and nuts etc. When cold smoking meat or fish I always use the AMNPS.

Reactions: ab canuck
I agree the sv24 is way too small for cold smoking with the tube...

You could try the mailbox mod

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky