AMNPS Oopsie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgruberman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
So... First time using the maze AMNPS and I think that I either placed it incorrectly or lit it incorrectly. Pretty sure when I lit it, I may have caught the second row of the maze but not sure. ALSO when I placed it in the MES40, I put it right next to the heating element... Also bad idea?

I went through a full made of pellets in about 4 hours. You can tell by the burn pattern of the maze that something was done wrong.

Two questions:
1. The obvious, where did I go wrong? AND
2. If I accidentally smoked the whole 12 hours of pellets in 4, does that mean I just don't put anymore in and the smoke will be equivalent to a 12 hour smoke?

I lit the end that is in the closer left side of the picture, so you can see something went wonky.

19e6e6dbff01f48d7ee26c888de3a393.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have a mes 30 and place it in the same spot.

You may have over filled it.   I leave the pellets down about 1/4 inch from the top of the tray.   To full and the fire can jump rows.

I have a mes 30 and place it in the same spot.

You may have over filled it.   I leave the pellets down about 1/4 inch from the top of the tray.   To full and the fire can jump rows.

Okay fair enough. However, it looks like the whole last row closest to the element caught and smoked all at once(and first). Any possible correlation to where the heating element is and it possibly hit the last row with too much heat?

It could have got the pellets to hot and they caught fire.  

I hardly ever use mine to smoke over 180 degrees so I never ran into that problem.

It could have got the pellets to hot and they caught fire.  

I hardly ever use mine to smoke over 180 degrees so I never ran into that problem.

Makes sense if that's the case. If so, does that mean I've used my entire 12 hours of smoke up and the pork will have 12 hours of smoke worth? Or.. Should I put some more in for consistent smoke?

Move it away from the heat....  I generally add smoke below 140 then turn the heat up to cook the meat or move it to the oven....

Also... More importantly... Do I need to add more pellets and continue smoking? Or since I used the entire maze up already, that's all the smoke the pork shoulder needs?

So... First time using the maze AMNPS and I think that I either placed it incorrectly or lit it incorrectly. Pretty sure when I lit it, I may have caught the second row of the maze but not sure. ALSO when I placed it in the MES40, I put it right next to the heating element... Also bad idea?

I went through a full made of pellets in about 4 hours. You can tell by the burn pattern of the maze that something was done wrong.

Two questions:
2. If I accidentally smoked the whole 12 hours of pellets in 4, does that mean I just don't put anymore in and the smoke will be equivalent to a 12 hour smoke?

I lit the end that is in the closer left side of the picture, so you can see something went wonky.

This pic looks like the row closest to the element is burned up the most and may have caught fire due to the blackening on the housing above the last row.  The middle and farthest row are turned to charcoal in the middle whereby the ignited row jumped to at least the middle row and maybe the farthest row, since there's so may charred pellets without ash .  If you lit the farthest row from the element it didn't make it to the first corner.  This is why I did the mailbox mod. You can have a proximity burn up like this or drippings on the pellets igniting.  I prefer to have combustibles outside the product chamber for smoke quality and safety.  If you want to keep the Amnps in the product chamber, then side it to the left on the rails 1/4" from the left wall or put it on the bottom rack by itself on the left 2/3rds of the rack.  I put my empty water pan on the second from the bottom level (it fits on any level.)  It's another obstacle to diffuse smoke/heat more evenly and drippings don't vaporize as quickly in the empty water pan to create greasy smoke.

-Kurt    

Also... More importantly... Do I need to add more pellets and continue smoking? Or since I used the entire maze up already, that's all the smoke the pork shoulder needs?

I would see how it is without more smoke.  Less is better.

-Kurt

Two questions:

This pic looks like the row closest to the element is burned up the most and may have caught fire due to the blackening on the housing above the last row.  The middle and farthest row are turned to charcoal in the middle whereby the ignited row jumped to at least the middle row and maybe the farthest row, since there's so may charred pellets without ash .  If you lit the farthest row from the element it didn't make it to the first corner.  This is why I did the mailbox mod. You can have a proximity burn up like this or drippings on the pellets igniting.  I prefer to have combustibles outside the product chamber for smoke quality and safety.  If you want to keep the Amnps in the product chamber, then side it to the left on the rails 1/4" from the left wall or put it on the bottom rack by itself on the left 2/3rds of the rack.  I put my empty water pan on the second from the bottom level (it fits on any level.)  It's another obstacle to diffuse smoke/heat more evenly and drippings don't vaporize as quickly in the empty water pan to create greasy smoke.

-Kurt    

I think it didn't make it to the first corner rightfully so. This was at 4 hours, so I think the left(in the pic) side just hadn't gotten to the back yet. Whereas I may have lit a little of the middle row on accident so they worked themselves back at the same time... And the side near the element just burned up due to the heat I'm guessing

It does look like it was lit in the middle row as well as the first row...also, having it that close to the heating element didn't help any.  Do you think some fat may have melted off the butt you were smoking, dripped on the AMNPS and caught fire?  I had that happen once...lots of white smoke, not so much tbs!  I've got a foil cover over the AMNPS now, so don't have that problem again.  I cut and bent a foil drip pan from my weber gas burner.  Still get good smoke distribution, but no longer worry about drips on the hot pellets. Won't have time to get any pics of that today, but I know Bearcarver has several pics posted in the forums of how he has done something similar.  Good luck, and keep smokin'.

Hello,

I have actually done this a few times. After a time or two I realized that when I was lighting off the maze I would torch, and blow on it enough, maybe too much and get the 1st and 2nd row started. I would come back after letting it burn with two rows smoking thinking I only lit 1 row. The first time this happened I didn't notice and a few hours later and there was no more smoke out of the smoker and a maze that looked similar to yours. Now I wait to load additional rows till after I light the 1st row. I use the same setup as yours for reference. Just a thought for next time. The 3rd row probably burned quicker because it was closet to the draft.

As far as smoke on the meat...color would probably be your best indicator as more or less smoke. I wouldn't think that meat could not absorb that much tbs in such a short time. Brown acrid smoke would absorb a bit different though.

That's happened to me before too...sometimes both channels get lit somehow.  Maybe the pellets were piled too high and jumped across or the other channel was lit when you were lighting

in the beginning.

From what I see, placement should be on the far left but not right against the wall.  You want air flow.  Next, pull the chip tray out an inch and pull the side delivery tube out enough (approx3") to allow a bit more air it. Lastly, as others have mentioned, take care to only ignite the first row with a blow torch. Once lit, watch it for 5 min or so before placing in the MES.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky