Amesphos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Glenwood, Upshur Co., Tx
Howdy All
Was going back online to order another batch of Amesphos for my sausage and loaf-bacon making.

Can't seem to find the product, and now the company seems to be gone too.

Does anyone know what happened?
If they are gone, what would be another product (name) to use?

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Rex,
aka POLKA

Hi
thanks for the link.
HOwever, it is "back-ordered".
I can't find it elsewhere.
That's why I posted the question.
Any other clues?
R

Butcher & Packer #414 "Special Binder"

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=895

5YVRQuE.jpg

Last edited:
I second what Dave recommends, Butcher & Packers is what I've been using, but all the major suppliers have there own version.

According to Joe Ames Jr., Amesphos should be available in mid January.

Although the different brands may have different descriptions, they are pretty much all the same compounds, and give the same results. I have also seen the argument to use soy protein or non-fat dry milk (NFDM in recipes) instead of phosphates as it is a "natural compound". Ummmmm, no it's not. Sodium Phosphate in it's various forms do occur naturally in nature and can be mined. What is sold as food grade phosphates is just the refined and purified form. Soy protein and NFDM are both a product of man and chemistry and although all of the above are safe, the phosphates are more natural than Soy and NFDM will ever be.

There are other binders that are carrot based which have been used with good results by some. I know NEPAS has used the carrot binders before and gave them a good report. I have not used the carrot binders, but personally I have used the B&P 414 and AmesPhos and love them both.

The usage quantities for B&P 414 and AmesPhos are the same as were the results for me. B&P is pretty much always available and about $6 a pound (which will last a long long time for the average home sausagemaker). AmesPhos is often out of stock. My point here is I don't think it matters what brand you use, be it AmesPhos, B&P 414, Pronto, etc.... they are all food grade phosphate compounds made for the same purpose and generally used in the same ratios (pretty much the same compound).

Reactions: DanMcG
Thanks to everyone for their links, and remarks. I wasn't sure that these were all the same compound(s). And, I had purchased Amesphos previously, so I was wanting the same for that reason. I'm in no great big hurry. I might shop around now that I know more of what I'm looking for. And then, I just might wait for the Amesphos to come back online, too.

Thanks again, everybody!!
Rex aka Polka

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky