• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Amephos substitute?

Bat119

Joined Mar 26, 2019
I have a ham stix recipe it calls for Amephos this is not available locally is there a Amephos substitute or just leave it out?

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
yeah foamheart has some threads on this not sure if it will help you, just use the search and it will pop up

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Amazon has a variety of Trisodium Phosphate products. The Original Amphos is available at Theingredientstore.com...JJ

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
You can just add the powder to a recipe.. dissolve it in distilled water... DO NOT ADD more than 0.5% dry powder based on the weight of the meat...
Weight of meat X 0.005 = 5%......

Last edited:

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I'm going to echo , Do not leave it out .

Bat119

Joined Mar 26, 2019
Deer and pork is boned ready to go I'll go with another recipe today and order some for the next batch
Thanks for the replies!

Bat119

Joined Mar 26, 2019
After a long search I found in Canada it's called Curaid Supreme
To help bind and retain moisture in sausage. Cure sold separately. Use 57grams-170grams (2-6oz) for 100lbs of meat.
Ingredients: Blend of food grade Sodium Phosphate.
For those looking for some in the great white North

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Hey !!!! Great find.....

170 grams per 100# = 0.37%
57 grams per 100# = 0.13%

Good numbers..... Canada has a little but lower tolerance for STPP than the US.... Which is all good... I keep my additions about 25% below max. allowable in the US.....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks