Ambient temp.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sean

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Yuma, Arizona
Wondering about how much outside temps can effect smoking ... I live in SW Arizona.. it's a warmish 116 today. We can literally fry eggs on the asphalt on days like these. Course that's what pools are for.

Question- Does this impact cooking times, internal temps etc?? I've lived here for 17 plus years, really don't have any other relevant history. I mean I've grilled lots o meat on campfires from sea shore to 9500 feet, (try boiling water there..) but this smoking stuff is all new.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I've already started reducing charcoal ... trading heat for time ... It's sorta easy when you can get 110 right off the bat!

I feel you Sean,

100 is pretty much the norm around here right now. however, the humicity is about 65% and makes it feel like 115!

My smoker shows 140 deg in the afternoon with no fire. :shock:

It has to have an effect on the smoke time.

I don't know if it would effect time so much, but it has to effect the amount of fuel needed to maintain the smoke I assume. I don't know what the humidity was yesterday, but like cajunsmoker my box showed 140 with a 95-100 degree temp.

As long as ambient temps don't complicate your efforts to maintain temps, fuel consumption is the biggest difference between winter and summer smoking (here in the midwest we definitely have both!) Although temp doesn't make near as much difference as wind. Even when it's hot, wind will suck the heat off your pit and make you use more fuel.

As long as its 235 in the pit, it's 235 in the pit.

I agree with what Scott said. Wind is the factor that you need to contend with. When I use my ECB in the winter I will use more briquettes on a windy day that I will on a calm one. I find that the wind will really the suck the heat away from my dutch ovens when I use them. One good reason to have a reliable wind brake.

Interesting ... Thx!

I'll have to start jotting down fuels consumed, not just type, temp and time ... but we really don't have any real weather here, some folk break out the parkas when it drops below 70!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky