Amazn Cold Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Did some cheese today with the amazn pellet tray with apple inside my PB Vert (no heat)

bsch4.jpg

bsch6.jpg

Yeah i know, cheese smokes better out of the wrappers....HA
bsch7.jpg

bsch8.jpg

Ready to take out. Smoke time about 1.5 hours.
bscg9.jpg

Funny how some took more smoke. Maybe because some i got at wally and some at winn dixie.
bsch10.jpg

bsch11.jpg

Ran out of cheese cloth and paper bags so in zip locks for couple days then vac seal.
bsch13.jpg

I’m new to cheese smoking, I have a mes30 and the amnzn pellet trey. So I can just buy the blocks of cheese and smoke them in my smoker with the pellet trey going and no heat. I’m in Hawaii so the inside temp of my smoker would be near 90-100 already

Rick looks good I like to stand the bars on the edge,you get more cheese on a rack.
PB works great for doing cheese
Richie

I’m new to cheese smoking, I have a mes30 and the amnzn pellet trey. So I can just buy the blocks of cheese and smoke them in my smoker with the pellet trey going and no heat. I’m in Hawaii so the inside temp of my smoker would be near 90-100 already

Hey Brian, I think your smoker is going to get too hot for cheese. I use 2 6 inch tubes and pellets in an 18 inch WSM and don't even try to smoke cheese unless the temps are in the 40's. The tubes will raise the smoker temps by 10 to 20 degrees and in my experience, cheese starts slumping through the smoker grates at around 85* smoke chamber temps.

You can try an external smoke generator and frozen jugs of ice in your MES.

I have a mes30 and the amnzn pellet trey. So I can just buy the blocks of cheese and smoke them in my smoker with the pellet trey going and no heat. I’m in Hawaii so the inside temp of my smoker would be near 90-100 already

Brian, take some of those pellets and turn them into dust... The dust will burn about 20-25F colder than the pellets...
The smoke is different when using dust... It's less dense and makes for a better flavor, in my opinion... FWIW, I started using dust on all the things I smoke... I like the flavor much better...

Too start, use no more than 2 1/2 cups of pellets to make your dust... you will see .why when you add the water to them... I dry at 300F for a couple 3 hours.. on a 1/2 sheet pan...

Here's a pork loin I made into ham burning dust....

Loin 1 003.JPG
002.JPG

Hey Dave, Thanks for the info on turning pellets to dust. I'm going to get a tray and try it. I haven't very many nights cold enough to smoke cheese in the last couple years and tis could extend my season.

Bian; You can also get some "Frog Mat" grilling mats. The fine mesh will give more support to your cheese than the smoker grates.

Reactions: daveomak
That cheese sure looks good Rick!
Nice color!
This is definitely cheese & lox weather down here now!!
Al

Nice looking cheese Rick. Now your set for a while. You will have to get some of your old buddies in Pa to send you some good cheese.

Warren

Brian, take some of those pellets and turn them into dust... The dust will burn about 20-25F colder than the pellets...
The smoke is different when using dust... It's less dense and makes for a better flavor, in my opinion... FWIW, I started using dust on all the things I smoke... I like the flavor much better...

Too start, use no more than 2 1/2 cups of pellets to make your dust... you will see .why when you add the water to them... I dry at 300F for a couple 3 hours.. on a 1/2 sheet pan...

Here's a pork loin I made into ham burning dust....

.View attachment 431051View attachment 431052

Not trying to derail this thread. But did you post a thread for this ham? It looks fantastic.

I’m in Hawaii so the inside temp of my smoker would be near 90-100 already
I use a MES 30 for smoking cheese and I can smoke hard cheeses in 70 deg temps using a mailbox mod. Tried using a tray inside and it was too much heat. I'm not sure you could do soft white cheese at that temp. Using frozen ice jugs might keep the temp down enough.

Hey Dave, Thanks for the info on turning pellets to dust. I'm going to get a tray and try it. I haven't very many nights cold enough to smoke cheese in the last couple years and tis could extend my season.

Bian; You can also get some "Frog Mat" grilling mats. The fine mesh will give more support to your cheese than the smoker grates.

i've made a block of ice with non-plastic container (plastic will crack). put block of ice with a tray to catch water. keeps inside of the smoker 70-80 degrees.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky