Amazingribs.com Brisket on UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkhorn98

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Occidental, CA
Trying a brisket fat cap down on my UDS. 13.3 lb choice packer from Cash & Carry trimmed to 10.5 lb. Injected with beef broth and using amazingribs.com Big Bad Beef Rub recipe. Trying 275 and plan to wrap in butcher paper. Through on some fatties and will put on some kielbasa and a small meatloaf later.

Last edited:
Came out good. Took the flat to 204 in 10.5 hrs. The flat could have been more tender but I had a time crunch. Rested in a cooler for 1.5 hrs.

Glad to hear it!  The last one I did wasn't as tender as I wanted it even though it went over 200, reheated it the next day for a couple of hours in the oven and it really helped.

I think it is also better to rest over 2 hrs. Overall it was a success. Took 1 hr per pound at 275 or 280. Next time I think I'll try 300.

when you rest your butcher paper wrapped brisket - do you wrap it in something else as well. Or just leave it in the butcher paper -> straight into the cooler? 

Your brisket looks good from here.

I have found that cooking brisket in a pan at a lower temp for a longer time yields a much moister piece of meat.

I run the smoker for the first 12-14 hours at 210-215. Then bump it up to 225-230.

I also put the brisket on a lower rack with the trimmed off fat on a rack above it so it will drip down on the brisket while it cooks.

Usually takes 20 hrs+ without the rest period for a full packer.

Al

I'm not sure how I'll do my next one. My 225 one with foil came out better then this one. I would like to try Bludawgs method once too.

BLUDAWGS BRISKET K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb

Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)

apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg

place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner

cook Brisket 4 hrs

remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.

after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky