amazin

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by grimreeper, Mar 23, 2014.

1. grimreeper

grimreeper Smoke Blower

I am looking to buy this, were can I order one.

2. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

Made in China too ... ask for a discount

3. newsmokeguy

newsmokeguy Smoke Blower

don't surprise me what isn't made in china now I thought I read where they were made in usa tho? I mite be wrong tho

4. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

Just bought two of the tube units ... box clearly says made in China ... go figure.

5. grimreeper

grimreeper Smoke Blower

Do they work
    As well as every one talks about.

6. my pellet smoker does 

7. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

Depends on the smoker. 

In a gen 1 MES it works well. 

In a Gen 2 MES is does not work at all without modifications. 

In a gas smoker it barely works, if at all.

8. Both the tube and the Amazn work fine in my Smokevault.

9. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

I have a second generation mes 40 and I've had some troubles with the amazn, but I've also had it work well. I've made zero mods to my mes so far. Gonna try the mailbox mod so I don't have to keep checking to make sure the pellets are lit and working properly.

I Believe the mailbox mod is a cheap and easy way around worrying if the pellets stay lit.

I've tried everything as far as how far to keep the chip tray out and the loader out and so on. Even when I've gotten it to burn nice i always wonder and check it anyway. With the mailbox mod you never have to open the smoker itself. Looks like it's the direction in going to go.

10. hillbillyrkstr

11. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

Take the chip tray and the loader tube completely out ... then it will sort of burn.

The Gen 2 has 1/2 the air flow as the gen1 had.

12. If you don't mind my asking, where do you place the tube in your SmokeVault?  Mine cold smokes great but I'm still trying to find a good place for hot smokes .....

13. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

I experience the same issues as well, keeping the amazn burning. I pre-dry the pellets in my stove prior to using them in the smoker to ensure that they are dry, I light the tray and make sure that it's smoking good before placing it into my smoker but I still have a hell of a time keeping it going. I also added a taller (8") smoke stack to help the smoker draw the air thru better without any luck either. I'm going to the mailbox mod this weekend as well because a  friend of mine did a few weeks a go and he says once it's lit and smoking you don't have to touch it at all, plus you don't let all the heat out of the smoker every-time you go in to re-light it.

14. hillbillyrkstr

ive had some success pulling he chip tray out a few inches and the tube out a few inches as well. It's really hit or miss though. The mailbox mod should take care of all the issues and it's cheap

15. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

But think it through ... if you have to do all this to just make a 3rd party item work then what's wrong?  The mailbox works great from what I hear but it seems to be a hassle to me and a lot of loose paraphernalia.  All the hocus pocus with the chip tray and the loader tube position ... hit and miss at best.

I have fixed ALL of the MES smokers and this fixes multiple issues with a permanent solution ... cost ~$12 and it will let the smoke trays work with no heat or all the heat the unit can produce ... does not matter.  In fact it has fixed every smoker I have including the gas units.  Introduces ~ 1 cfm of fresh air in the unit but moves about 5 cfm and stirs the air.

Eliminates the temperature stratification and makes the box very uniform

Eliminates the lack of oxygen in the unit

Increases the draft so any chip tray will burn cleanly.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  16. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

What type of fan are you using that can take the heat? The mailbox mod isn't really that much screwing around at least for my friend, he just plugs in the dryer vent into the side lights the amazin and put it inside and he's done.

17. hillbillyrkstr

Mes makes junk. The whole reason I needed to buy an amazn is the chip tray in my mes 40 kept catching fire. I'd much rather keep using the amazn with the mes, and a mailbox mod than try throwing chips in it again that catch fire and you have to refill every half hour. Does your fan system work with the amazn inside the mes?

18. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

19. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

Well I don't think Masterbuilt makes junk at all and had you talked to them they would likely have instantly corrected your issue which they are aware of and have corrected.  Sounds like you chip pan and loader is too big.

The fan fixes all of the things I said in post #16.  I spent a lot of time messing with it and got it right ... so far.  It is die cast 110vac and I wired it in at the power cord.

I have a brand new in the box (after testing) cold smoke unit from Masterbuilt ... I will sell it to you for $50 plus actual UPS shipping if you want it.  I loaded a handful of chips to test it and it works perfect ... made for your unit and buddy it pouts out the smoke !  I also put some pellets in it with good results but the bottom screen is too big ... easy fix though.  Does not matter what you are doing in the smoker - cold or hot.  This unit sits along side and has it's own element.