Amazen tube or tray for gas grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dm76

Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
I just got a Weber Genesis 310 after coming from a cheaper Char Broil infrared that had a trough over the burners and I'd throw some wood chips right on it. It added a little flavor but they didn't last long. I mostly want something for this grill to add a little smoke when I cook something quick like salmon or chicken, but also something that will last long like if I'm doing ribs or a whole chicken. What works better: the tubes or tray? I am at sea level and since I have read that altitude matters. Also, when using this while doing indirect heat, do you put the smoker box on the side over the burner that is lit or the other side?

I use a tube on mine once in a great while, don't put it over a burner that will light it, off to the side and air currents will mix the smoke, been known to put a little hickory shag bark in with the pellets to.

Oh and welcome to the site, they host pictures here so addem if ya gottem, easy peasy lol

welcome to smf. i've never used one in a gas grill but my guess would be a tube might work better, they work better in a low oxygen environment, but they do give off more smoke so I think you would have to vent it somehow or ya might get a bitter taste from to much smoke. i'm just guessing because I'm really not sure though, i'm sure you'll get some more answers from people who actually use them like Mike243.

I have a Genesis 2. Before I got my smoker, I used both the tube and the tray. I like both. Not sure if one does any better than the other. The tray may offer more smoke time and you can fill it all the way, or partially, with the built in rows. Just set it directly on the grates is what worked for me.

Welcome from SC!

I just got a Weber Genesis 310 after coming from a cheaper Char Broil infrared that had a trough over the burners and I'd throw some wood chips right on it. It added a little flavor but they didn't last long. I mostly want something for this grill to add a little smoke when I cook something quick like salmon or chicken, but also something that will last long like if I'm doing ribs or a whole chicken. What works better: the tubes or tray? I am at sea level and since I have read that altitude matters. Also, when using this while doing indirect heat, do you put the smoker box on the side over the burner that is lit or the other side?

I also have the genesis I use the tube loaded and lit first . Make sure it is well lit before placing on grill.I usually have two burners lit on low one on each side so I place the tube in the middle.I've only ever used it with poultry so I was not worried about needing a heavy smoke.I have a dedicated smoker for butts and such.

Best to use the tube as it will stay lit easier and position it on the indirect side, not over a lit burner. With the tube going the smoker box is a non-use item. For ease you could make that area the indirect section, ie burner off under the box. If the box is actually below the grates, why not just remove it?

I use a standard Weber smoke box (you can do almost the same thing with chips in aluminum foil), but I supplement it with an AMNPS tray that I put down in the grease trap. I put it in the trap because if you put the tube or tray up in the grate area, it is way too hot up there and the pellets in the AMNPS tend to burn rather than smoulder.

Remember that there is a LOT more air going through most grills than what goes through most smokers, so you need to generate a lot more smoke to get the same effect.

Here is the thread I started where I showed how I use the AMNPS in my Weber Genesis:

Rotisserie Smoked Chicken - Using All My Toys At Once

Wow, so many replies right away! This is great. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either but the longest I have ever run a grill so far was for ribs (about 4 hours) or a chicken (a couple hours or so) so if the tube is easier to stay lit, maybe that is best for that? I guess I could always end up with both like you guys if I like it or want to experiment with more.

Sound like a plan. I will order the 12" tube and suppose I can always add pellets to it if it doesn't last, right?

One more question for when I am just cooking some chicken breasts or salmon or other meat that only takes 15-30 minutes: how full would you fill this? Maybe just a quarter full? Do you still pack them right together or what?

You are not going to get much effect for a 15-30 min cook regardless but yes, filling it a 1/4 would probably be enough. The 12"er will be a little harder to get lit given all the pellets at the back vs a 6" tube. For a gas grill I really don't see a good use for a 12" tube.

Well I already ordered the 12 inch one. I guess I should just use that for ribs, or maybe a whole beer can chicken or something that takes over a couple of hours?

Get a cylinder shot glass and slide it in the tube and a wooden skewer behind it to hold it there on the back side so the flat bottom glass is up front against the pellets you need! Shorten the tube from the inside. Yes it is A-maze-n!

20191007_185303.jpg

Lose the stupid front cap that Fs up the lighting. So you can light through the bottom perf SS.

Reactions: Winterrider
Actually my order didn't ship yet. Sounds like maybe I'm better off getting the adjustable 7-12 inch one?

Just an update, I placed an order for the adjustable 7-12" one. I was just thinking the shot glass probably wouldn't fit well in an oval tube. I hope this adjustable one works well.

Key to the tube is using a butane torch to get it lit properly i.e. hold it on the pellets for 40 sec or so. Then let it stabilize for 7-10 minutes (sometime it needs to be torched a second time) before relocating to the grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky