Amanda's Home cooked meal by SQWIB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
My daughter has gone off to college and has been feeling a bit homesick.

I was thrilled that she said part of the reason she was homesick was because she missed my cooking (had to rib the wife with that one).

Her boyfriend was picking her up at college and dropping her off then he headed to work and came over for dinner later on.

I Invited my Mom and Dad up because Amanda wanted them to meet her new Boy Friend.

I also asked our neighbor Michelle and Bruce and their son Greg to come over for dinner.

Michelle and Bruce have asked us out so many times and we always decline, not by choice, however I asked if they could come over for Dinner because I always feel like I am blowing them off.

Their son Greg is an eating machine.

Ok now the scene is set.

Picture overload at the end!

Anyhow here is the layout.
  • Fresh Baked Bread
  • Pork and Beans (a modified Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans Recipe)
  • Macaroni Salad (wifey made the night before)
  • BB Ribs
  • Eye Round Steaks
  • Mushroom Gravy (Steak Diane cheat)
  • Baked Potatoes
  • Onion Rings (store bought)
  • 3 pies (store bought)
Got up a bit later than I wanted but wasn't sweating it, everything I was preparing was cooked by time and easy. It was about 55° outside temperature, really clear out and smelled like Fall already, such a gorgeous morning.

The Crickets were even chirping away, ha ha they must have overslept as well.

So let's get started

09:45 AM I am working on some Canadian bacon so that went into the GOSM

There's four  2.5lb loins cut from one ten pound loin.
  1. Plain
  2. Honey Brown sugar and cracked pepper.
  3. Sweet and Sour
  4. Pineapple
I will post about them once they are completed.
  • Teaser Pic.
  • I also am working on some BuckBoard Bacon that I will post in a few weeks.
  • 10:00am Prepped the BB Ribs using my modified Robert Irvine Mop and Rub. This was an odd batch of ribs, there was no silverskin on one of the racks.
Mop, equal parts
  • Red wine
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Soy Sauce
[h2]Rib Rub: (I have really grown fond of this rub)[/h2]
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard, such as Coleman's 
  • 1 teaspoon course black pepper
  • 5 teaspoons seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder

• 11:00am Franks fired up, the ribs go into the pit and the timer is set, I am shooting for 4 hours at 250°
  • Throw on some Jalapenos from the garden, some garlic that is on it's last leg and a few eggs for a test.

• 11:30 I start the bread
  • 12:15 the beans go into the pit.
  • 1:00pm the potatoes go into the pit.
  • Ribs were mopped 4 times one side only.
  • 1:30pm Eye Round was removed from the refrigerator
  • 2:00pm started the mushroom gravy (Steak Diane Cheat)
  • 2:05pm started building the glaze
  • 2:10pm salted the steaks.

• Amanda gets home and is happy to see me hard at work.

• 2:15pm,the plain Canadian bacon reaches 140° Here's where I loose track of time, everything seems to be coming at once. So I focus on completing the ribs.
  • 3:00pm  I fire up the grill next to the pit, and throw the ribs on bone side up, the bone side is glazed and flipped after 2 minutes. I wanted a bit of char on the ribs.

• Ribs are placed in a steamer pan and foiled, these will rest until dinner. My guests will be arriving in one hour, I'm in pretty good shape.
  • 3:10pm steaks are rinsed and blotted dry then are tenderized using my Jaccard, my arm was ready to fall off after 15 steaks.This is when I started getting cranky so I figured it was time....
..... yep it's time!!

• OK back to business, steaks are tenderized.
  • Steaks are then dipped in the same type of mop that was used for the ribs.
  • 3:30pm Beans are removed right after the ribs and stirred, foiled and will rest as well.
  • 3:30pm Potatoes are removed
  • 3:35pm Time grill the steaks.

• Got everything done by 4:15 pm, not too bad.
  • Now the moment we have all been waiting for.

I must say, I did pretty good, however I was a bit disappointed in some of the steaks, I was doing them at about 600° for (2 and 2 crosshatch), (flip 2 and 1 crosshatch). total of 7 minutes

I got sidetracked talking to my mom and 5 of the steaks went one minute longer, there was no pink I was so pissed, they were good and everyone enjoyed them but I need to see that pink.

When grilling steaks like this you can't walk away or get distracted.

The gravy was my biggest success, for me anyhow, especially for pulling it out of my head. You could eat this stuff like soup.

The baked potatoes were awesome, there is something about a simple baked potato that is so good.

The Fresh baked bread was OK, not great but you cant beat fresh baked bread, even if it came out of a breadmaker.

The ribs were awesome as usual, to be honest they're pretty hard to mess up.

I have only had one batch that I would deem a total failure that I had made back in May but everyone said they were good. I did not like them (overdone).

I have been reducing the cook time doing the BB'S a little each time, these were 4 hours at 250° and 4 minutes on high heat on the grill. They had a nice little tug and the texture was steak like, These were glazed with Sweet Baby Rays at the request of the family.

I have also been staying away from the foil. I like the unfoiled much better than foiled, the meat has a denser texture for lack of a better word.

I was in my glory, I had the Pit, Gosm BB, Brinkman Grill and the Weber Grill all going at once.

Amanda was very happy with everything, so to me it was 100% success.

I will post the Canadian Bacon later this week.

The buck Board bacon needs to go a few weeks then I can post that as well, going to do a cold smoke on the buckboard.

I'LL BE BACK!

Another awesome meal and great post. I am sure Amanda loved it too

Looks fantastic!  My family likes Sweet Baby Rays sauce as well.  I have debated whether to try and make my own but honestly, I love Sweet Baby Rays too!

Great job. It looks like you had some happy guests.

It all looks great...JJ

Great job.. Food looks wonderful.... Now you have also set the bar very high for the boyfriend as well. He will have to try real hard to beat Dad with a feast of Love like that.....

Good evening SQWIB,
bravo1.png

that is one awesome meal you put together, I'm giving it 4 1/2 stars. If I was there to enjoy some of it I know I would give it 5 stars. Amazing how it all came together at the end, good job.

al

Id come home too if you were cooking me that. Thanks for sharing another great thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky