Am I making the right choice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bloodbath

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
I am getting a new smoker in a few weeks. I am trying to keep the cost under $300, but I might be able to stretch that a bit.

I need something easy, as I am disabled. I think a vertical charcoal smoker will be a bit much for me to handle. Also, I live in an apartment complex, and they require pits to be at least 10' from the front door. To me this rules out electric because they don't recommend using an extension cord. Thus, I am looking at propane smokers.

The one that gets great reviews and that appeals to me is the Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault. I can get this smoker with a cover and a propane tank for about $300. I would be most grateful if you veteran smoker users would give me your honest opinions on this choice. If you have a better option for me, I would also appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you, so much

Do you think the results will be comparable to a butane smoker? What electric would you recommend? Thanks for the response!

You might ask them if electric is included in the 10 foot rule . Might be a charcoal / flame thing .

I've had a Smoke Vault 24 for several years & I use it all the time.
I did replace the burner a couple of years ago, but it was cheap & parts are always available from Camp Chef.
Al

I apologize, but I don't understand what you are saying.......

Put a butane lighter in the refrigerator... wait about an hour or 2.... light it... see how low the flame is... It won't make pressure at low temps...

butane%20pressure.gif .. propane pressure.jpg

I don't understand, are you talking about a PROPANE or a BUTANE smoker.
I didn't think a SV24 would run on butane.
Al

I have seen the reviews on the Smoke Hollow & they seem to be pretty awesome.
That smoker wasn't available when I bought my Smoke Vault, but if the SV ever dies for good, I think I would at least look at the Smoke Hollow. I really like the glass door. I can't comment on which one is built the best, but I can say that any part that you need for the SV is available at Camp Chef.
Al

Thx trying to find a good electric in my price range is proving difficult tho. Any suggestions guys on an electric at $300 or so?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky