Aloha From Hawaii

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heeloboi

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Bi Island of Hawaii
Aloha all from the land of hula skirts and palm trees. Jus joined the site and wanted to let everybody know that us here in the 50th state love us some BBQ and smoke meat.

I use my grandpa's smokehouse which is an old iron roof shed (4x4x7' high) and soak the meat (usually pork but we do turkeys on Thx Gvg & xmas) in a brine of soy sauce and garlic.

For BBQ, we favor using short ribs (we have a short rib cut in the islands that is unique of the mainland US) soaked in a brine of soy sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, green onions, garlic, and ginger. just had some last night for the 4th and it was stupendous!

I would love to know if any of you out there has tried some Hawaiian BBQ or smoked meat and let me know what you think.

Aloha, HeeloBoi :mrgreen:

Had several trips through the Islands with Uncle Sam's yacht club. Always enjoyed everything about it. Got a couple of tatoo's to prove it :twisted:

Always loved the pork :D

Aloha, HeeloBoi!

Happy to have you on board! Sounds like you have the smoking thing AND the flavor thing down pat! Hope to enjoy more of your posts soon.

In the meantime I will be investigating Hawaiin smoke recipes.

Cheers!
Monty

HeeloBoi,
The mention of all those ingredients sounds interesting. I have to admit that I have never had Hiwaiian BBQ. I was once there and had pork at a Luau(sp). It was wonderful. I'd appreciate your posting some of your favorite recipies for marianade, smoking etc. I'd like to try some of them if you don't mind. And thanks ahead of time.

Aloha to you, Heeloboi. I had a Hawaiian BBQ place near my old house that I really enjoyed even though the owner would get carried away with using green peppers. BBQ any style I love-but I can really do without the indigestion that bell peppers can give me.

I have Kailua pig, Hawaiin Teriaki was staitioned there in Pearl Harbor for a few years and loved the food. Went for a vavcation in May and didn't reconized the place. Even the Big Island has grown!

Debi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky