Aloha El Diablo Summer Sausage 2020

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
It has been a couple years since I made this specialty but I got a nice deer this past week and thought I would make it again. What we are doing is 20 pounds of venison & pork 60%ven 40%pork. To this grind several times reducing the plate size on the grinder until I get to 1/8" plate. By then most all the sinew and stringy stuff has been trapped and eliminated in the plates which by the way require cleaning/unclogging as you go. On the last grind I do about 1/2, layer some seasoning over it, do another layer and so forth. Then I run it through on the kidney plate a couple times to thoroughly mix the meat and seasoning along with the non fat dry milk or fermento mixed with 2 cups of water that are to cold for my hands to do manually. Then into the cooler for the night to let the seasoning cure mix rest.

The next day I roll it out and add the sliced olives and pimentos., rolled in on bath sides with a rolling pin being carefull not to crush the olives, and lastly adding the cheeses, 2/3 lb of each hi temp cheddar, swiss, & mozzarella. Flip over roll out and square it up, the roll into a log shape that fits my 30lb stuffer.

I then stuffed into chubs and used hog rings to close them shut. Rested at room temp for an hour before moving into a preheated smoker at 130 degrees. I will bump the temp to 140-145 until it hits the stall, then raise it to 180-200 all the time watching the internal temp of the meat until it reaches 158-162. I use multiple Ink Bird thermometer probes doing this. Depending on the moisture content of the meat it will take a while to acheive the 159-162 range. My recipe and pictures are below. More picture to follow when it is finished and sliced.

Aloha El Diablo Summer Sausage Recipe 20lb mix.

12 lbs lean venison
8 lbs pork (boston butt)
4 tsp Cure #1
3 TBS black pepper ( use a little of each fine, medium and course)
8 TBS salt (kosher)
2-1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
2-1/2 tsp Ground Mustard
1 TBS Mustard Seed
2-1/2 tsp Garlic powder +-
13 TBS Corn Syrup Solids ( about 144grams)
2-1/2 cups of non fat dry milk or Fermento mixed with 1-1/2-2 cups water till dissolved
2 TBS Coriander
2 TBS Freeze Dried Jalapenos
2/3 pound high temp cheddar
2/3 pound high temp swiss
2/3 pound high temp mozzarella ( note the cheese amounts, use no more than 1lb cheese per 10 lbs meat. Less cheese is usually better)
8 oz jar of green olives and pimentos, sliced
4 oz jar of pimentos

Pictures below :
PRMS0104.JPG
Processing the venison

PRMS0026.JPG
Rolling out after the grinding

PRMS0027.JPG
Squaring it up evenly, about 1" thick

PRMS0029.JPG
add the olives and pimentos

PRMS0030.JPG
cover and roll-in
PRMS0033.JPG
PRMS0037.JPG
add the cheeses and roll in flip and do same to other side.
PRMS0038.JPG

PRMS0039.JPG

PRMS0046.JPG
Making the "log" to fit the stuffer
PRMS0047.JPG
PRMS0048.JPG
ElDiablo (1).JPG
Stuffing the product. IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Attachments

• PRMS0052.JPG
    PRMS0052.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Waiting for finished shot. Plus I also like a good set of loppers to disassemble a deer. Been using them for quite a few years.

It looks good so far and glad to see you got to use that new stuffer again. I'll be looking for the sliced shots

Sounds really good. I'm curious about using Cure #2 as well...JJ

Looks great with the studded cheese. Your deep mahogany color looks just like the Local Deer Bologna. My favorite in Central PA is in York Country. A processor called Twin Pines. Folks come from Miles around to have their deer processed there. The Bologna is Sweet and Tangy, with a very heavy Smoke on them. Just great stuff...JJ

Looks great with the studded cheese. Your deep mahogany color looks just like the Local Deer Bologna. My favorite in Central PA is in York Country. A processor called Twin Pines. Folks come from Miles around to have their deer processed there. The Bologna is Sweet and Tangy, with a very heavy Smoke on them. Just great stuff...JJ
Thank you for the kind words. Last time i made this I did not have enough moisture retention,, this time it came out perfect. I made notes accordingly in my recipe notes. I actually write everything down each time something is made including the steps I took so as to have a written record to rely on in the future. You know how it is when you start tweaking your recipe, sometimes you forget exactly what one did especially at our age. If it comes out good I put a big check mark at the top of the page for future reference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky