All of you down south

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Be careful with that snow that is heading your way.
Richie

Sell the Central New York farm, we thought. Settle in the foothills of the Blue Ridge in North Carolina where we'll still see four seasons but escape the heavy snow, we thought.

Five hours in and around 6-1/2" with maybe 10 hours to go. The ground and roads were a little above freezing when it started so the ground under it is slick in places and the road is icy. We didn't think to empty the birdbath so I expect Snoopy and Woodstock to be playing hockey out there soon.

Maybe I should have kept the 45" snow thrower I had for our sub-compact tractor.....

upload_2018-12-9_8-24-2.png

The snow is up to the bottom rail of the back deck but is deeper out in the yard where the deck roof isn't stopping some of the snow.

upload_2018-12-9_8-24-53.jpeg

Our 9-1/2 month old red tick coonhound Rosie had apparently forgotten what snow is and was very skeptical to face the five or so inches on the ground when she first went out. A few stick and ball tosses later and all was well. I'll see if I can get a few pics of here rediscovering snow later.

For sure all be safe and hope it stays south. Although this morning they have moved the snow line depends how far up it moves I could get from 1/2 -1" or 1"-3" just a wait and see.

Warren

Just windy and rainy down here SE of Charlotte. A couple of snow flurries but right at 32º so probably no ice. This transplanted desert rat is happy to not see the snow that they predicted!

New pics from 11:30 AM. We're about a half hour north of Winston-Salem.

The birdbath is getting shorter all the time...

upload_2018-12-9_11-42-50.jpeg

The bottom deck rail has lost the war. I checked the depth in three different spots out in the open and all measured 10-1/5" at 11:30 AM.

upload_2018-12-9_11-44-9.jpeg

Lance

To measure snow depth out in the yard, you would need a yard stick, right? I actually did that once, 14 inches.

Nothing here in central Ohio this time. We usually get snow when cold air comes down and hits warm air already in place, but this time the cold was already here (~20F) and it seems to be keeping all of the storm south of us. It's like you guys opened the freezer door to watch all the condensation billow out.

Stay safe, and welcome to my world. LanceR LanceR you may have gotten rid of the blower, but did you keep your snow tires? :rolleyes:

Chris

Seen some pics on the news,be careful stay inside.
Richie

No snow here, but it is supposed to get into the 40's tonight. Tomorrows high in the 60's, but sunny!
Al

Stay safe, and welcome to my world. LanceR LanceR you may have gotten rid of the blower, but did you keep your snow tires? :rolleyes:

Chris

Actually, my Expedition has Cooper Discoverer tires which are great in the snow. Mechanically it's an F-150 with independent suspension so it goes great in snow or cross country. And we've always had a second set of rims with snow tires for my wife's cars. She's been on Bridgestone Blizzaks for years and they are as good as snow tires get. The biggest issue here as opposed to CNY is that we get a lot more road ice here due to the higher average surface temperatures.

My best guess is that we actually got between 14 and 16" of snow. As the day went on it kept compacting and I only checked it when the dog had to go out. Southeast of us at Piedmont Triad International airport in Greensboro they measured 12" and that was the second highest single storm snowfall ever in Greensboro. Quite a contrast to most of our northern and Midwest states.

We've had light rain and above freezing temps for around 8 hours now so it is all packed down but we have yet to see a plow.

Two winters ago, in CNY, we had three 24" plus storms including one of 38" where they closed the schools for a day.

My biggest fear would be those drivers that have never driven in snow before. It happens all the time up here. People seem to forget or don't know how to drive when the first snow falls.

Chris

My biggest fear would be those drivers that have never driven in snow before. It happens all the time up here. People seem to forget or don't know how to drive when the first snow falls.

Chris
Chris no truer words were ever spoken
Years back I took a trip down south and it snowed,not fun dodging idiots doing donuts on the highway.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky