Al Pastor Bastardizado / Bastardized Al Pastor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I had a craving for some Al Pastor but didn't have the time or ingredients to do it proper.
So I improvised and it came out dang tasty for a bastardized version.
It had the prerequisite charred, sweet-n-salty, chile flavor that is Al Pastor, the flavor was just a little different but damned good.
It really could use the Guajillo chiles for the true flavor, and the pork could be sliced a little thinner.
But nobody complained, there was prolonged silence save the sounds of satisfied eating.

The Pork
5lbs or more of pork steaks, cut 1/2 inch or less
Or you can slice up a pork butt

Marinade
20 oz Crushed Pineapple
19 oz Red enchilada sauce
7oz Chipotle chiles in Adobo sauce, pureed
4T Achiote powder or paste aka ground Annatto
1T Cumin
1T Paprika
2T Sea salt

Miscellaneous
1 32ct bag of Corn Tortillas, lightly steamed
Salsa Roja and Guacamole
Chopped onion, cilanto and lime wedges for garnish.

Directions
Puree chipotles with enchilada sauce and spices.
Add pineapple and juice from the can, stir well.

I marinated the pork steaks for 5 hours.
I'll try 8hrs next time to see if I can get a little deeper penetration of flavor/color.

Grill over high heat to get a good char.

Had a huge bowl of leftover Loaded Mashed Potatoes, so those got reheated.
Mashed taters, bacon, caramelized onion, sour cream, butter and red pepper.

Whipped up a side of Black beans, Hominy, onion and Rotel.

I was forced out of the kitchen by the hungry horde and barely escaped with my own plate and the camera was left behind, so alas no money shot.

Last edited:
I just broke my bottom toofes out cuz my jaw dropped.

drool.gif

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the recipe!
You're welcome... It's good as is, use a good Achiote powder/paste and Guajillo instead of the Chipotle chiles and it is fantastic.
It looks delicious!

Al
Thanks
Never heard of it,looks like it could be filling.Nice job
Richie
What, never heard of Al pastor? Poor soul.
Meat, tortillas, potatoes and beans/corn... Yeah it's some serious stick to your ribs food.
Thanks
Holy smokes man that looks great!!! Nice job POINT - SIR
Appreciate the compliment, does look pretty good doesn't it.
Thanks for the Point.

Kind of crazy but I was reading your post the other day thinking man that looks good but I have never heard of it before then today I go into a new Mexican restaurant and this is what the lady suggested I try. So I did and it was great so thank you for the post

Kind of crazy but I was reading your post the other day thinking man that looks good but I have never heard of it before then today I go into a new Mexican restaurant and this is what the lady suggested I try. So I did and it was great so thank you for the post
You're welcome, glad you tried it and liked it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky