air fryers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

It's getting close to prime day. I been thinking of getting an air fryer. I have a regular round oil fryer but it's a pita to clean. I was thinking of the corsairs or instapots. Thoughts? I like fried chicken and fries and onion rings so that's a plus.

Reactions: sawhorseray
We just got a PowerAire XL. Used it twice and the wife loves it so far. Really good fried chicken, not as good as her pan fried but still very good. Fries came out great too.
Got a Emril 360 Xl about a year ago. Didn't care for the fries at all. I got it because it will hold a large chicken on the rotisserie. Wife didn't truss the bird and it fell apart towards the end. Tasted great, but pissed her off and she swore off it. Admittedly she didn't experiment much to dial it in.
If roast chicken is in mind, keep in mind most claim to hold up to a 3-4 pound bird. I challenge you to find one that small. (with the exception of cornish hens)
Don,t know anyone with the other models, but that has been my take on these 2 so far.

Reactions: negolien
I got a Emril 360 over a year ago and never used it, now it's in a spare bedroom. Bearcarver Bearcarver used to cook on one and now he's pounding out some really good looking food on a Ninja, he seems to like it a lot. RAY

FB_IMG_1657128036597.jpg

i have thought about buying one of those , after i had a heart attack 3 years ago everyone told me to get one , but i was afraid i wouldn't like it but maybe one day i'll pull the trigger and buy one

I’ve got the Powerairfryer XL. I don’t use it often but go on rolls. I’ll say it does killer rotisserie chicken. I’d suggest finding on of the multi function units that does air fry and more.

XL 360, have never really gotten crispy chicken without setting every smoke alarm off in the house. Use it sparingly, but makes fantastic potatoes wedges.

My #360 made a lot of good stuff, but it was made mighty cheaply, compared to my newest Toy---The Ninja Foodi XL Smart Grill.
This thing makes damn near everything great, especially Chicken, Fries, Sausage, Steak, Onion Rings, Breaded Mushrooms, Scrapple, Bacon, etc, etc, etc.

thanks appreciate the posts.. hopefully prime day 3will give me a good deal. Clean ups rough in these though eh?

We just got a PowerAire XL. Used it twice and the wife loves it so far. Really good fried chicken, not as good as her pan fried but still very good. Fries came out great too.
Got a Emril 360 Xl about a year ago. Didn't care for the fries at all. I got it because it will hold a large chicken on the rotisserie. Wife didn't truss the bird and it fell apart towards the end. Tasted great, but pissed her off and she swore off it. Admittedly she didn't experiment much to dial it in.
If roast chicken is in mind, keep in mind most claim to hold up to a 3-4 pound bird. I challenge you to find one that small. (with the exception of cornish hens)
Don,t know anyone with the other models, but that has been my take on these 2 so far.

Yeah, how come most yard birds are close to 5# anymore ???

• Haha
I bought mine last Prime Day or Prime Week, whatever lol

Did make some pretty good steak in it when I lived in an apartment....now that I'm in a house, I typically use it for small things like bacon, side dishes to my meals (asparagus, diced potatoes, brussel sprouts, etc) So easy to toss some stuff in, hit the timer and kickback while your meat is grilling and sides are cookin.

Plus clean-up is a breeze! Especially with bacon, no more long time in the oven, no more grease splatters all over the stovetop....just drain the grease and wash out your bucket and grate

I got one a few weeks ago and IMO they're not all that great. If you don't have a lot experience with it, its hard to figure out how long and what temp to cook fresh foods. Most of the time I overcook everything and its dried out. It no where near compares to oil frying especially home made fried chicken. If you want to cook things like pre made frozen foods like French fries or chicken wings maybe its ok. As for a steak, its only place is on a hot charcoal grill. My 2 cents

I got one a few weeks ago and IMO they're not all that great. If you don't have a lot experience with it, its hard to figure out how long and what temp to cook fresh foods. Most of the time I overcook everything and its dried out. It no where near compares to oil frying especially home made fried chicken. If you want to cook things like pre made frozen foods like French fries or chicken wings maybe its ok. As for a steak, its only place is on a hot charcoal grill. My 2 cents
Personally I don't feel like you given it much of a chance if it hasn't even been a month lol, also depends on which one you get and what you're going to use it for....obviously oil is best way to make FRIED chicken :P

the variety is endless with these things though, you can even make rolls and all kinds of random stuff in most air fryers..While I personally just use them for a complimentary appliance, I don't see them as a device that's meant to make a full meal or the main part of the meal

Reactions: negolien and boykjo
Yeah, I agree. I haven't used it much. I got the insta pot 6qt. Seemed to be a favorite at a good price. We cooked the Aldi' breaded chicken breast in it.... Dang that was good. The Mrs. cooked some frozen cauliflower in it. 18 minutes later at 400 it turned into toast...lol. I floured some fresh chicken tenders and the chicken cooked and the flour didn't bind and just fell off. Needs more practice.

Yeah, I agree. I haven't used it much. I got the insta pot 6qt. Seemed to be a favorite at a good price. We cooked the Aldi' breaded chicken breast in it.... Dang that was good. The Mrs. cooked some frozen cauliflower in it. 18 minutes later at 400 it turned into toast...lol. I floured some fresh chicken tenders and the chicken cooked and the flour didn't bind and just fell off. Needs more practice.
Isn't that like some "7 in 1" product they made??? I've never messed with the "air fryer/pressure cooker" combo appliances, but I have to think they just aren't the same as a straight up "air fryer only" product.

regardless though, yea all these appliances definitely take multiple failures til you really bring out the best in their ability to make food you love. Course who in here would elect for anything besides a grill or smoker when it comes to the meats? ha ha

Just an air fryer.

Attachments

• 71C6o0tFcgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71C6o0tFcgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky