Air Flow Control in a RF Smoker - How much air flow do you need?

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by hamature, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hi All,

I am new here and I am working on building my first reverse flow smoker.  I have found a good BBQ Calculator (feldons) that is helping with all the measurements but, I have a question.

I am considering getting a CyberQ or DigiQ or one of those types of Airflow/Temperature controls for my smoker.  I am wondering if any of you have done this and what size you recommend?  In my research I have found 3 sizes that are 5cfm, 10cfm, and 25cfm.  My smoker is going to be built out of a 120gallon tank with the size of the firebox TBD (feldons recommended approx 20x20x20 inches but may go a little larger). 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. I have a Stoker and the fan that I use for my UDS is 10 cfm (recommended size by Rocks). I would think the 10 would be enough for a 120 gal. I would contact CyberQ and see what they have to say though just to be sure.

hamature likes this.
  3. So, I did some research and couldn't find anything even remotely helpful.  I did decide that I wanted to go with the CyberQ Wifi so, I called the guys at Firecraft (who incidentally had the best price for a complete kit) and told them what I was doing and how big I anticipated my firebox to be.  He recommended the 25cfm fan...and said I was right on the border of possibly needing to use 2 fans.  He didn't try to sell me both though, in fact he recommended that I try just one to begin with, that I could add the second one later if I really needed it. 

You can find them at www.firecraft.com

4. Why do you feel you need it?

5. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Feldons has some inherent problems.... The FB/CC opening and area under the RF plate are too small, IMO.... increase those areas by 50%....... THEN....... there will not be an air flow problem.......

Dave

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Hamature -

Are you wanting to use the CyberQ for a set-it-and-forget-it smoker tender, or are you anticipating problems?

7. Thanks for the tip!

8. Not anticipating problems.  Want to use it for better temperature control so I can smoke overnight.  My current grill, does not have a separate smoker so I use an indirect method and it has almost no air control so i am constantly adding charcoal every 45 minutes and of course all of the accompanying temperature fluctuations that go along with having to constantly open the lid to add charcoal. 

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  9. Be sure and post some pictures and let everyone know how it turns out

Gary S