Air Flow Control in a RF Smoker - How much air flow do you need?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hamature

Original poster
Hi All,

I am new here and I am working on building my first reverse flow smoker.  I have found a good BBQ Calculator (feldons) that is helping with all the measurements but, I have a question.

I am considering getting a CyberQ or DigiQ or one of those types of Airflow/Temperature controls for my smoker.  I am wondering if any of you have done this and what size you recommend?  In my research I have found 3 sizes that are 5cfm, 10cfm, and 25cfm.  My smoker is going to be built out of a 120gallon tank with the size of the firebox TBD (feldons recommended approx 20x20x20 inches but may go a little larger). 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have a Stoker and the fan that I use for my UDS is 10 cfm (recommended size by Rocks). I would think the 10 would be enough for a 120 gal. I would contact CyberQ and see what they have to say though just to be sure.

Reactions: hamature
So, I did some research and couldn't find anything even remotely helpful.  I did decide that I wanted to go with the CyberQ Wifi so, I called the guys at Firecraft (who incidentally had the best price for a complete kit) and told them what I was doing and how big I anticipated my firebox to be.  He recommended the 25cfm fan...and said I was right on the border of possibly needing to use 2 fans.  He didn't try to sell me both though, in fact he recommended that I try just one to begin with, that I could add the second one later if I really needed it. 

You can find them at www.firecraft.com

Hi All,
I am new here and I am working on building my first reverse flow smoker.  I have found a good BBQ Calculator (feldons) that is helping with all the measurements but, I have a question.

I am considering getting a CyberQ or DigiQ or one of those types of Airflow/Temperature controls for my smoker.  I am wondering if any of you have done this and what size you recommend?  In my research I have found 3 sizes that are 5cfm, 10cfm, and 25cfm.  My smoker is going to be built out of a 120gallon tank with the size of the firebox TBD (feldons recommended approx 20x20x20 inches but may go a little larger). 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Feldons has some inherent problems.... The FB/CC opening and area under the RF plate are too small, IMO.... increase those areas by 50%....... THEN....... there will not be an air flow problem.......

Dave

Last edited:

Hamature -

Are you wanting to use the CyberQ for a set-it-and-forget-it smoker tender, or are you anticipating problems?
Not anticipating problems.  Want to use it for better temperature control so I can smoke overnight.  My current grill, does not have a separate smoker so I use an indirect method and it has almost no air control so i am constantly adding charcoal every 45 minutes and of course all of the accompanying temperature fluctuations that go along with having to constantly open the lid to add charcoal. 

Last edited:
Be sure and post some pictures and let everyone know how it turns out

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky