Advice on what Grinder to purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjpiv33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Charlotte
Morning All!
I have not posted in quite a few years, did some competitions, do alot of smoking for large fundraiser events and side jobs here and there catering.
Well i have recently gotten into making sausage, snack sticks and processing my deer and hogs i shoot during the season.

I've been using a kitchen aid with a grinder attachment and while it works well for the first grind through any plate, i cannot get a good grind the second time. So i will be purchasing a better unit and have come down to a couple options and wanted the forums opinion, hopefully some of you have these and can weigh in.

One thing i do want is at least a #12 unit....possibly #22. The #32 is overkill for me.

Grinder 1 > https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...rxnKgZ7iRmUm8UVv-G4aAk65EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Grinder 2 > https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ba...s-12-electric-meat-grinder-120v/554BSG12.html

If you guys have other suggestions please let me know!!

-Thanks
John

If you get the 22 from Cabelas, it hooks up to their larger meat mixer if that maters to you at all. Edit””. Looks like any commercial grade cabelas model will hook to their mixer

Last edited:
Reactions: jjpiv33
If you get the 22 from Costco it hooks up to their larger meat mixer if that maters to you at all. Edit””. Looks like any commercial grade cabelas model will hook to their mixer

Do you have a link to the #22...i cant seem to find it.

I have the 3/4hp. LEM Big Bite...it is a #12. It'll grind as fast as I can feed it and doesn't bog down. We process 10-15 deer and 2-5 wild hogs every february...5-600# of meat. It fits what we do. I also make a lot of sausage the rest of the year...
Could go bigger, but not necessary unless you are just cranking out 5-600# daily......

I would recommend a #22- 1 hp grinder. It would match what your wanting it to do.
Cabelas and LEM seem to be the best quality grinders.

My 2 cents

Boykjo

....the big bite auger was redesigned to have a more aggressive taper which translates into more forward thrust for better cut and better feed with second grind. One tip I will give you is on 2nd grind, keep the feed tray moist...wet the tray with 1 tsp. or so of water every time you reload. The water helps keep the first grind from sticking and lubricates the grinder throat tube to keep the first grind from sticking and clogging up the throat. If you use your hand to form the meat into a tube as you feed it, you will not need to use the pusher at all. The big bite auger will pull the first grind in.

I've had the Cabelas Commercial Grade 1hp grinder for over 15 years, never a glitch, Got the meat mixer attachment and love it! RAY

Last edited:
I have a 1 1/2 hp grinder from cabelas and love it! Was probably overkill but had friends that had one and loved it. Also might want to also get a foot pedal, i didn't to start with but ordered one after my first use...would hate to be without it.

Ryan

I have the 3/4hp. LEM Big Bite...it is a #12. It'll grind as fast as I can feed it and doesn't bog down. We process 10-15 deer and 2-5 wild hogs every february...5-600# of meat. It fits what we do. I also make a lot of sausage the rest of the year...
Could go bigger, but not necessary unless you are just cranking out 5-600# daily......

That’s the one I have & it will grind some meat!
No plunger needed, it just sucks the meat in!
Al

All you guys who use either the LEM or the Cabelas, do you use it to stuff too, or do you use a vertical stuffer? I've heard mixed reviews....air pockets, takes too long, and such

I just use it to stuff 2 lb bags of burger meat, any sticks I make I use an actual stuffer

Ryan

I own a LEM #12 and when I cut pork butt into strips for grinding the machine makes quick work of 30 lbs of meat in a little over 5 minutes. Would have bought a #22 but that would have been major overkill. I also don't double grind. The wider opening may be easier to feed for double grind.

I have the Cabelas as well.. going on ten years now... not a single problem... (this would be my choice)

The other one you have the link for doesn't even mention HP. that I seen ...

No I have never stuffed with it even though it has cool looking stuffing attachment... always used a dedicated stuffer ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky