1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Advice needed Smoker Turned Off

Discussion in 'Pork' started by LetsRunEm, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:20 AM.

1. LetsRunEm

LetsRunEm Newbie

I'm using a MES and put a butt on around midnight cooking at 235 degrees. I woke up at around 630am to put a little more wood chips in it and check on things. The butt was sitting at around 165 and I figured it would stay there for a while stalling.

I know that as of 8 am the power was still on at the house. But at 1030 am I went back to check on things and add a some wood chips. The butt was at 165 degrees and the smoker temp was 91 degrees. The smoker was off and the clocks in the house were flashing so the power must have flickered.

I turned it back on at 240 degrees and it's been going ever since. Is my Boston butt still good? I was going to take it to a tailgate tonight with friends and know I'm probably over reacting but I need some reassurance.

2. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic

I would say your good to go, I'm sure some of the pros will be around with their advice.

3. bregent

bregent Smoking Fanatic

If the meat temp was still at 165 then you have nothing to worry about. I don't have a MES so won't comment on the possible causes, but just wanted to mention that a remote thermometer with a low temp alarm is a great thing to have for overnight cooks.

jcam222 likes this.
  4. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

You are good. If your temp had been below 140 I would say be careful but at 165 you could eat it. Obviously you want to get it up closer to 200-205 for pulled pork.
    Eat away!

5. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

Your good

6. LetsRunEm

LetsRunEm Newbie

It was at 165 this morning and I'm not sure how long it had been since the power flickered bit at a maximum it could have only been 2.5 hours and the shoulder never cooled off below 165

It's still rolling and is sitting at about 190 degrees and I'm going to go to about 203 when I pull it off the smoker. Hopefully the couple break in smoking didn't hurt the taste!

7. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Trust me it’ll be fine!

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Your good to go, don't worry about it.

Chris

9. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

No problem at all.
    Gary

10. motolife313