Advice for Beef Rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I wonder if anyone would like to give me a good recommendation for a beef rub. I generally use the same rub I use for pork. I wrote it down one day off the top of my head, and later on, I found out it's pretty much what everyone else uses. I love it on ribs, but it's not the best for beef. Maybe I should get rid of the sugar and cut down on the cumin.

3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt (may use 2 if it really seems necessary)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle power
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Definitely get rid of the sugar, and the mustard powder. Not a fan of either for beef.

I only use cumin and chipotle or chili powder on beef when I want a bit of a south-of-the-border flavor.

White pepper? Switch to black and coarse ground.

I'm generally a SPOG (Salt-Pepper-Onion-Garlic) guy on beef, or MSS (Montreal Steak Seasoning).

I'd leave a little sugar in the rub to help with the bark, maybe cut yours in half if you find it too sweet, and add a lot of black pepper. Cumin is kind of subjective, so to taste, but I'd probably omit it, and I'd add onion powder.

I'd also omit the salt and, instead, dry brine.

It all depends on the cut of beef I'm smoking/grilling.

Chris

I'm a big fan of oak, and I have an unlimited supply because it's the only thing that grows here.
Add to that fire, smoke, SPG, beef, and you will be on your way to flavor town. That’s how I do beef everything from brisket to Tri-tip or rib steak to rib roast, just delicious.

I wonder if anyone would like to give me a good recommendation for a beef rub. I generally use the same rub I use for pork. I wrote it down one day off the top of my head, and later on, I found out it's pretty much what everyone else uses. I love it on ribs, but it's not the best for beef. Maybe I should get rid of the sugar and cut down on the cumin.

3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt (may use 2 if it really seems necessary)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle power
1 tablespoon garlic powder
most beef...except beef ribs. SPG (salt pepper garlic.)

Reactions: SmokinEdge
For a brisket? Nothing but salt, black pepper, heat, and smoke. I'm more in the camp of 1 part salt to 1 part pepper, but not all ground black pepper is equal. Sometimes (as with this big thing of Sam's Club branded BP I got about 6 weeks ago, very mild to say the least) it takes more pepper than salt. I do like to hit it with some fresh grind but mostly preground stuff - cause lazy.....

If I'm going to do a chuck or something for pulled/chopped beef sandwiches I MIGHT dust with onion and garlic powder also.

Reactions: indaswamp
I'm with gmc2003 gmc2003 it really depends on the beef and whether I'm intending to smoke or grill. ex) Brisket, no question it's pure Texas 50/50 salt & cracked black pepper, Tri-Tip is Santa Maria style 2 part garlic, 1 part each salt & pepper.

I don't like to mess with the natural Beef Flavor of roasts.
All I ever use on any Beef is CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder, after wetting it down with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce, to make it stick.
I will however marinate steaks a little, usually Teriyaki.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky