Advertisements

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I don't know if anybody noticed this, but just lately when I click on posted pictures from various members, including my own, some of the ads on the side of the page, leave their place on the sidelines, and jump right in front of the picture I want to zoom in on. Are they supposed to be doing that?

If I want to see a nice piece of perfectly cooked Beef or Pork, I'd rather not have some of it blocked out by a "Toyota" ad!!!

I'm sure it's just an oversight???

Thanks,

Bear

I use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser. They have an app called adblock plus. Blocks all ads on all web pages. And it's free.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser. They have an app called adblock plus. Blocks all ads on all web pages. And it's free.
See Below.

What ads??
See below.

Bear are you using IE
I have an iMac, and use safari.

OK guys how about doing a test for me???

Go to my "Bear" post, and scroll down to the picture of the Bear on a pallet on a fork lift.

Here's the link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...r-could-be-offensive-pictures-to-anti-hunters

Now click on the picture of the bear on the pallet, on the fork lift, to zoom in on the picture.

Does the "Toyotathon" ad end up on the zoomed picture?

Thanks guys,

Bear

I double checked before I wrote the above, and it was still happening.

Since I posted post #5 above, I went there again, and the Toyotathon ad was gone.

Maybe somebody got rid of it???

This is not the first time this has happened.

Every now and then one of the ads leaves the side area & gets on top of SMF stuff.

I would not be too quick to blame an iMac. I believe they are more advanced than the average box of doodads.

Bear

On Edit: I just checked again, and there is a different Toyota ad doing the same thing again.

Try my test above.

Last edited:
Most people who use Apple products think they are more "advanced". lol

Since I posted post #5 above, I went there again, and the Toyotathon ad was gone.

Every now and then one of the ads leaves the side area & gets on top of SMF stuff.

I would not be too quick to blame an iMac. I believe they are more advanced than the average box of doodads.

Bear

On Edit: I just checked again, and there is a different Toyota ad doing the same thing again.

Try my test above.

Last edited:

Bear

Try my test above.
What virus scan do you use?

I don't need any.

lol You are barking up the wrong tree again Bear. You do know I am a network engineer right? For the sake of your smugness I will reply anyway. I use Linux on 6 of my 7 home computers. Even so, I do have antivirus protection on all of the Linux machines which coincidentally your Mac is based on. Of the 150 servers I have at work, roughly 40 of them are Linux and the remaining 110 are Windows. I also have some off hours customers that use Macs who are also under the impression that malware doesn't exist for the Mac which is simply an untrue statement. Enjoy your false sense of security. You do need an antivirus and spyware scanner even if you aren't running Windoze. 

I don't need any.

Bear

Try my test above.

I don't need any.

Bear this last statement is not accurate. I also have a Mac. Mac arent as targeted for Viruses and Spywares but they are out there and do target Mac's. I run a anti virus program just to be safe.

As for the ad. I tried a couple times and it worked just fine with no pop up. Now that being said I know you have better things to do then to make up something so I am going to try it thru out the day to see if I can duplicate it. If it happens again to you then go to www.smokingmeatforums.com/feedback and fill it out. This will go to huddler and they can get it addressed. Ill also email them with a FYI.

Thanks for letting us know you having this issue Bear.

Brian

lol You are barking up the wrong tree again Bear. You do know I am a network engineer right? For the sake of your smugness I will reply anyway. I use Linux on 6 of my 7 home computers. Even so, I do have antivirus protection on all of the Linux machines which coincidentally your Mac is based on. Of the 150 servers I have at work, roughly 40 of them are Linux and the remaining 110 are Windows. I also have some off hours customers that use Macs who are also under the impression that malware doesn't exist for the Mac which is simply an untrue statement. Enjoy your false sense of security. You do need an antivirus and spyware scanner even if you aren't running Windoze. 

I don't need any.
Not trying to be smug.

I'm just tired of every time something is wrong with this new platform, it is MY computer. Just like getting bumped off 6 or 7 times in a 24 hour period. They say that's my computer, although once in awhile they admit they've been doing some upgrades (which is fine). Then I'll go two months without having to log on. I guess that means my computer fixed itself.

As for barking up the wrong tree, and my being "smug", I believe it was you who said "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Most people who use Apple products think they are more "advanced". lol". I only replied to that![/color]

And when you use the word "again" leaves me to believe that you still hold a grudge from being told something you were doing wasn't really very safe, because I don't think I ever attacked anyone on this forum, without it being in defense. If I find something I believe to be unsafe, first I make sure I'm right. Then I let them know, because I don't want others to do the same thing. If that happens to be you, it wasn't anything personal.

Bear

Bear

Try my test above.

I don't need any.

Bear this last statement is not accurate. I also have a Mac. Mac arent as targeted for Viruses and Spywares but they are out there and do target Mac's. I run a anti virus program just to be safe.

As for the ad. I tried a couple times and it worked just fine with no pop up. Now that being said I know you have better things to do then to make up something so I am going to try it thru out the day to see if I can duplicate it. If it happens again to you then go to www.smokingmeatforums.com/feedback and fill it out. This will go to huddler and they can get it addressed. Ill also email them with a FYI.

Brian
Thanks Brian,

Today the only ad that was doing it is the Toyotathon ad. The others are fine.

As for the virus thing,

Actually when you look at it from my point of view that statement was correct.

This computer is owned by my wife's boss. My wife's boss says it doesn't need a virus blocker. Therefore I do not need one.

Bear

Hey Bear!

I click on the pic and all I see is a "Naked Bear"!

Gotta change my brand of "Beer Goggles"!

Todd

no issuse here bear.

And just to side track this thread a little. I Googled Macungie, PA and along with the map of the area it had pic thumbnails . One was a carved bear. is that one of yours?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3107559
No Dan,

That's not a wood carving. I saw it in Macungie. That thing is some kind of phenolic resin or something. It's a casting.

They had it for sale at the Barnyard Market for awhile, but it was way to expensive for anybody to buy.

No ad issues  in my computer. Running a plain old dell laptop with windows vista.  But GEEZ!!! what a big bear that was!  I've only had bear twice, a roast cut into cubes and cooked on a stick over a fire like marshmallows - it was tasty!

Bear

Try my test above.

I don't need any.

Brian
Brian,

Wait until you see the "Toyota" ad on the right of the page. Then click on whatever picture is to the left of that ad.

That is when it does it. All of the other ads seem to be alright at this time.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky