Adventures in Offset Learning (w/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nothingtoofancy

Original poster
Feb 13, 2022
I've been busy learning the ins and outs of running my Bell Fab, spending as many free weekend days and weekday nights as I can building fires and testing methods. The hardest part for me so far has been finding the right size split and technique to maintain a good sized coal bed and the temps I want at the same time. I probably just need more practice. It seems to like running at around 250-275, so that's the temp I've been cooking at for most things. Going down to 225 for fish makes a little tricky, but it has been doable - just needs a lot more attention. Bumping up to 325-350 for some hot and fast chicken is even easier, since this thing seems to really like a fire in its belly. Anyway, here are some pictures of recent endeavors. Enjoy!

Pork butt and belly burnt ends

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

Got that thin-rainbow smoke
746p9c3u61091.jpeg

Makin' Bacon
IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

First brisket and a couple of picnic shoulders
IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2138.jpg
IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

Hot 'n Fast spatchcocked chicken. Probing it let out some juices which affected the skin around that area, but otherwise it was crispy and delicious.
IMG_2160.JPG

Bacon wrapped jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar, and pork rub
IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2140.jpg

Smoked brussels sprouts - these were on point.
IMG_2157.JPG

Got some wood. A mix of white oak, red oak, and hickory, plus a couple crates of cherry on the right hand side of the rack.
IMG_2179.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Looking like you got it about right! Great looking cooks thus far. Heck, I'd even try the sprouts.
Jim

Looks like you are well on your way. That 275F range is very common as a temp that off set smokers like or settle into. It’s perfect for most things. Don’t fight the grill but work with it to complete a cook.

If you want to cook fish, or anything else, around 225°F try a charcoal fire with a few chunks or very small splits for flavor. You can even do the offset version of a Minion method and get good long burn times.

I've been busy learning the ins and outs of running my Bell Fab, spending as many free weekend days and weekday nights as I can building fires and testing methods. The hardest part for me so far has been finding the right size split and technique to maintain a good sized coal bed and the temps I want at the same time. I probably just need more practice. It seems to like running at around 250-275, so that's the temp I've been cooking at for most things. Going down to 225 for fish makes a little tricky, but it has been doable - just needs a lot more attention. Bumping up to 325-350 for some hot and fast chicken is even easier, since this thing seems to really like a fire in its belly. Anyway, here are some pictures of recent endeavors. Enjoy!

Pork butt and belly burnt ends

View attachment 633050
View attachment 633051

Got that thin-rainbow smoke
View attachment 633053

Makin' Bacon
View attachment 633054
View attachment 633055
View attachment 633056

First brisket and a couple of picnic shoulders
View attachment 633057
View attachment 633058View attachment 633060
View attachment 633061

Hot 'n Fast spatchcocked chicken. Probing it let out some juices which affected the skin around that area, but otherwise it was crispy and delicious.
View attachment 633062

Bacon wrapped jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar, and pork rub
View attachment 633063
View attachment 633064

Smoked brussels sprouts - these were on point.
View attachment 633065

Got some wood. A mix of white oak, red oak, and hickory, plus a couple crates of cherry on the right hand side of the rack.
View attachment 633066
Bro, That looks Amazing!!!! Yup…. You got it dialed in! Wood stack looking real good !

Looks like you are cranking out some great food. The poppers are a nice idea for snacking while smoking. Anything that surprised you about your new smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky