Adjustable propane regulator recommendations??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gr0uch0

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Displaced Texan in Door County WI
Picked up a 50K BTU cast iron burner if I don't want to babysit my old school NB Black Diamond charcoal/stick burner for $11, and wanted to see if anyone had input for adjustable regulator kit for it.  It will give me the best of both worlds:  this portable option will allow me to load up a pellet tube if I still want long, low smoke, yet have other more pressing things I have to deal with than to feed it with wood or charcoal that day.  Appreciate any input.

You might want to try posting your question 

in the propane build section.

I'm thinking you'll get a better response there.

I do know that Northern tool has a small needle valve

for very fine control of your gas burner.

Ed

You might purchase a smaller burner... 50K BTU will heat a small house... you will have little to no temp control...

Thanks, Ed: I'll look at Northern. Plenty of control, Dave, with an adjustable valve--very common on a turkey fryer or seafood boil rig, and can run below boiling water temps.
Morning....  well, if you have to control that burner down to a low flame, you could have a flame out...     How big is your smokehouse.....  You should also think about a "flame out sensor" that turns off the gas....  

Man killed when meat smoker explodes

Colleen Kottke, The (Fond du Lac, Wis.) Reporter 4:49 p.m. EST December 15, 2014

(Photo: The (Fond du Lac, Wis.) Reporter)

TOWN of LAMARTINE, Wis. — A Wisconsin man using a homemade meat smoker to cook turkeys and chickens died when the smoker exploded, police said.

Richard L. Zabel, 55, was found dead Saturday afternoon inside a machine shed.

"The North Fond du Lac Ambulance and Lamartine first responders were called to the scene for the initial report that someone had fallen," said Lt. Cameron McGee of the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Office. "When investigators arrived on scene, they discovered that a 55-year-old man was dead inside the building."

Zabel, a town of Lamartine man, did not live at the building's location, but lived nearby.

"Evidence indicates that the flame on the LP burner went out and as a result the gas continued to accumulate inside the smoker," McGee said. "And when (Zabel) went to relight the burner, the spark from the lighter caused the gas to explode."

McGee said the force of the explosion caused the heavy duty door of the smoker to blow open, striking Zabel in the head, killing him instantly.

"When something explodes, it's going to blow open at the weakest point which was the door, which was triple-latched," McGee said.

McGee said the smoker was larger and better constructed than most store-bought models.

"It was about 4-feet tall and about 3-feet wide and built really solid, including the door. Someone really put a lot of thought into building this thing," McGee said. "We were told that they had been using it for the past three years without any problems."

The Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.

Taken under advisement, Dave, and appreciate your concern.  I'm merely building my own replica of an Afterburner H that has been on the market for 20 years:  and produces 56K BTU full throttle.  Others on this forum have posted that they've used this product very successfully--and safely--in offset horizontals for some time.

http://gassmoker.com/products/

Has anyone used a propane stove valve and control to convert a propane smoker to a controlled burner system?

I finally found an affordable ($30) used propane stove from a camper and tore the whole oven control out of it.
Next is some testing and retrofitting the oven control into the Masterforge.
Too many other projects going in the garage at this point in time, but looking forward to a temp controlled gas smoker :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky