Adjunct Bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

siege

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Southeast Idaho
I have a turkey in the freezer that I think I will smoke, and serve along side the traditional roast turkey on Thanksgiving. My only issue is that it weighs 24 pounds.I have smoked smaller birds in the 12 to 14 # range, and they were great. My thinking here is to either spatchcock it, or split into 2 halves. Run 225 degrees to internal temperature of 165. That should cut my time down from about 12 hours to around 6 .I dont see why this won't work, but anyone with experience in a similar smoke, chime in with your thoughts and opinions, please.

Your plan is sound...JJ

Reactions: siege
Thanks for the reply JJ. I am leaning towards 2 separate pieces, just for ease of handling.

24 pounds is A LOT of Dinosaur to handle Spatchcocked. I part my bird into Legs and Breast. The spine gets a 30 minute roast at 425, with veggies, to make stock for Gravy and the Dressing.
The Legs go in for an hour, then the Breast is added. The Legs come up to 175 at the same time the Breast hits 165. Perfectly Done to my liking and easy to handle, regardless of size...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
"]I agree with your thinking, but why not run a little hotter...250-275. Asking for a friend /QUOTE]
I agree with your " friend ", and others that a higher temp would produce a better texture in the skin. If I use the MES I can get plenty of smoke at a higher temperature. I am planning to use my pellet grill/smoker which makes good smoke at 225, but not at 300.
I haven't tried using my AMNPS in it yet. That might help produce more smoke, but the fan may make it burn too fast. Might have to experiment tomorrow.

JJ : "24 pounds is A LOT of Dinosaur "..

True that ! At Thanksgiving, WinCo Foods gives out a free turkeys with a $100 purchase. Any size...I always get the biggest one available. Some years I end up with two or three over a few weeks of shopping. The spare ones usually get used for another holiday. Last year we did prime rib at Christmas, and a brisket at Easter, hence, Big Bird is still chillin' ....
I use the backbone in my gravy stock, too, and the neck meat for some added richness.
Great suggestion , parting leg quarters and breasts, thanks !

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky