Adirondack Chair Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You're missing out . I wasn't a fan either , until I used it . I have the cheaper one , but been thinking about getting the newest one .
View attachment 527111

Rich the one out in the shop is a whole kit in a Kerg box and extra jigs all ready mounted on a piece of plywood and 3 boxes of different size screws
I really should look at it more . Was just going to sell it all .

David

fans and haters but it appears that at least chopsaw chopsaw chopsaw chopsaw and I are fans!

Ha Charlie , I'm not a hater just have not used it . Now I might just give it a try.

I fix and work on and build a lot of cabinets. I use dowel Jigs for when people buy new fridges and they will not fit under the old cabinets . I will rebuild the cabinet for the higher fridge. and instead of trying to match the cabinet doors , I just recut the doors to the new size of cabinet . Cut the 2 or so inches out of the middle . Dowel , clamp and glue. Refinish and back just like new.

So I can see and have thought of this quite a few times , just not set aside the time to play with the jigs to get used to them ... yet.

David

David take some pics if you get a chance .

Sure will Rich, I'm actually setting up in about a week to build a bank of uppers and lowers with a desk attached for Small options home to match their kitchen cabinets that are existing. Plus they need a large corner build-in to handle a 32" +/- flatscreen tv. Has to be smash proof for the young man in his activity area .

So while in the shop setting up for that i will pull down the box of Kerg and take some pics

David

Reactions: kilo charlie
Very nice chairs! I've made a couple in the past. I'm thinking another is on the horizon. I also have the Kreg pocket hole kit. Handy and easy to use. The vice gripe clamp I bought has the annoying habit with the clamp lever cover falling off though.

Very nice chairs! I've made a couple in the past. I'm thinking another is on the horizon. I also have the Kreg pocket hole kit. Handy and easy to use. The vice gripe clamp I bought has the annoying habit with the clamp lever cover falling off though.

If it's just the cover.. leave it off so you don't have to fool with it. When you're doing 100 holes at a time gotta save all the time ya can

Reactions: Steve H
For anyone using the Kreg Jig plans that I used, I modified it further by using pocket hole screws from underneath for all the seat slats.
I just wasn't a fan of nailing them on.

The burnt pine was fun and looks cool AF but a hard wood would make for a longer lasting chair I feel.

Here's an under side picture of the pocket holes for the seat slats.

20210413_155539.jpg

Ha Charlie , I'm not a hater just have not used it . Now I might just give it a try.

I fix and work on and build a lot of cabinets. I use dowel Jigs for when people buy new fridges and they will not fit under the old cabinets . I will rebuild the cabinet for the higher fridge. and instead of trying to match the cabinet doors , I just recut the doors to the new size of cabinet . Cut the 2 or so inches out of the middle . Dowel , clamp and glue. Refinish and back just like new.

So I can see and have thought of this quite a few times , just not set aside the time to play with the jigs to get used to them ... yet.

David

Same here,
Before I started my real Cabinet shop, I was experimenting which joints I was going to use for Face Frames, and I was leaning towards Pocket screw types, but then I started working with an old Buddy of mine, who was using Double Dowels. I worked with him for 10 years, and when I finally started my own shop, I bought a "Horizontal Boring Machine" that just blew all other Joints (IMHO) away". That thing would drill 2 holes, 3/8" in Diameter, at set spacing & positioning, and set depth.
The table had set stops, and a foot pedal brought a clamp down on the wood, and the 2 bits would move forward into the wood & back out again, before releasing the hold down pressure.
I could drill all the holes for a set (10 to 20) of face frames in about 1 to 2 hours. Assembly was just another one to 2 hours, with only 2 clamps needed.
That set-up was awesome!!

Bear

Even though my response is a bit belated, I wanted to say that your Adirondack chair build is truly amazing! Great job! The burnt pine looks so cool, and that satin polyurethane finish must make it super comfy to relax in.

Even though my response is a bit belated, I wanted to say that your Adirondack chair build is truly amazing! Great job! The burnt pine looks so cool, and that satin polyurethane finish must make it super comfy to relax in.

Thank you for the kind words and welcome to TW! I don't visit here as much as I used to but there's a ton of information and cool people here!

Really nice ! Just dragged one out of my storage shed a month ago. No idea why it wasn't out but man I love it. Sits in th corner of my garage for sheltered gazing at storms and closer to the smoker for big cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky