Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you’re having fun! and Good at math
Fun for sure. Good at math lol not really thank god for calculators. lol I can’t wait to get into it more. I am also learning how to weld. By the time I am done with this I will have a little bit of welding knowledge on the basics. Never hurts to learn new things.

Fun for sure. Good at math lol not really thank god for calculators. lol I can’t wait to get into it more. I am also learning how to weld. By the time I am done with this I will have a little bit of welding knowledge on the basics. Never hurts to learn new things.
That’s how I got into machine work and all the other random skills I’ve aquired. Keep having fun

Reactions: irvin78787884
Didn’t work on the smoker today as I worked overtime. Gotta pay for that 1/4” plate steel somehow. A guy at work brought in this stove door said I could have it. I might just make it work on the FB of my build. Hoping to do the lay out of the Cc/FB, lid, and work on the base this weekend. The weather is supposed to be decent and I also have Friday off.

Attachments

• 20240130_191315.jpeg
    20240130_191315.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Love
Reactions: SmokeRing0909
Got a little lay out work done on the build today. Off tomorrow so I should get the rest of it laid out. Gonna put caster wheels under the tank on the wood frame I built. Then I can rotate the tank easily for cutting and welding. Before I go any farther on welding I need some practice so I am going to practice on some scraps I have laying around and maybe start working with the base since that can be ground to smooth things up.

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3878.jpeg
    IMG_3878.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 41
Took a step backwards today. I started the base yesterday and it turned out bad. Not square or level. I built it on the floor of the shed so the inconsistent floor didn’t help apparently. I did also 45 all the corners on the first base which would have looked better but just couldn’t live with it not square or level. So I redid it today. Setup saw horse and leveled them and rebuilt it. One good thing out of it was more welding practice since I am also learning how to do that. I have to say I am improving on my welding. I got the base all perfect square and level this time. Just need to finish welding the base and put the end caps on. I also mocked in one of the rear wheels. Gonna try to work on it some this week after I get home from work. Supposed to be pretty decent weather also in PA.

Attachments

• IMG_3889.jpeg
    IMG_3889.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 41
Rear wheels and tires are official tacked on. Level and enough room for the FB to fit in between. Now to tackle the front over the next few evenings. Started messing with the front today I am going to have to go a different route in order to make the front and rear inline and the front still be able to turn. It would have been a little easier with 2x2 square frame. I just couldn’t beat the price I got the steel pallet for so I will make it work with a little more thinking and planned. Stayed tuned. lol

Attachments

• IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 38
Made some progress on the base of the smoker today. Need to get the rest of the steering done and a few other things to make it work. Plus get the ends filled in on the base. I got all the wheels on finally and welded on the top side fully. Once I get the steering laid out and working I will flip it over and finish the welding on the bottom. Then onto the CC and FB.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3900.jpeg
    IMG_3900.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 27
Few things on the steering to finish up. It’s all mocking into place and working . Gotta cut the long centre plates down a little. Add a brace and finish welding it. Then I can flip it over and finish the welding on the bottom. It’s slowly coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_3901.jpeg
    IMG_3901.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3904.jpeg
    IMG_3904.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 29
Steering complete. Fully welded, adjusted and put the steel tube over the threaded rod to help with strength for the linkage. The center part also got the pin and angle put on for when I build the handle to pull and steer it. To bad most of it will have to come apart to get cleaned up and painted when it’s time. Only have two ends to cover then I can flip it over and finish weld the bottom side of the stuff that I couldn’t get from the top. Then onto the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: JLeonard
The base is completed and sitting on its own wheels. Getting the plate for the FB on Monday. Hopefully tomorrow and Sunday I will work on the CC.

Attachments

• IMG_3909.jpeg
    IMG_3909.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3910.jpeg
    IMG_3910.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: woodyg
Heck of a base! Cant wait to see how you incorporate the door in! I saw the mockup, looks like its gonna be cool.

Jim
It’s a heavy beast. I can’t wait till I get to that point also. I am so ready to build the FB. Then get it all assembled. Well the real I can’t wait for is the food. And the I built that as well. lol

Got some more work done even tho I worked 8pm to 4am this morning cause of snow and it was 27 degrees here in PA today. Got the casters under the CC in order to rotate it easily. Also got most of the patches finished on the CC. Hopefully tomorrow will be productive and I will finish up the patches and cut out the CC/FB opening. The bigger patch was where the tank fill hole was.

Attachments

• IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3913.jpeg
    IMG_3913.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3914.jpeg
    IMG_3914.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Good morning. Where did you get your steering bits and pieces like the ball joints and connecting rods?

Thanks
The steering spindles are from a golf cart I got off Amazon. They had bronze bushings in them that a 3/4” grade 8 bolt fit in perfectly. Honestly if I did it again. I would make my own out of pipe, bronze bushings and bolts. I had to cut off and make new stems for the steering. Also figure out and angle the bracket for the spindles because of the built in camber. The rod ends that connects the steering together I got off Amazon as well they are 1/2”. Then just used all thread to connect with a round pipe over for added strength. I had to get 1/2” x3/8” spacers for under the rod end for it to not bind. The center pivot point is a pipe with bronze bushings in it and a 3/4” grade 8 bolt also. 2 more rod ends in it to connect to the threaded rods.

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpeg
    IMG_3904.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: LanceR
Made some good progress on the CC today got all the patches welded in. Need to grind them yet. Also got the FB/CC area cut out. Going for the 1/4” sheet steel and the exhaust stack tomorrow. Then see what I get into after I get home.

Attachments

• IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 28
Picked up the 1/4” plate, 8” exhaust stack and grating for the fire grate. Plates are cut and in shed. Sxs came in real handy to pull it to back of trailer to cut up. Break time for the rest of the evening.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpeg
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3925.jpeg
    IMG_3925.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky