Acceptable levels of nitrate in Tender Quick or Celery Powder vs. Prague #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
P PolishDeli , sorry for the confusion. I’m slow.

What are your thoughts on nitrite pooling and becoming nitrates in say salami? Some places I’ve read claim no nitrate is needed because of the “ pool effect “ of nitrite. I don’t have a lab and am not a scientist.

I'm not familiar with that term, but here are my thoughts on the hypothesized process you describe:

It is easier for NO2 to grab an oxygen atom than it is for it to let one go. It wants to be NO3 - not NO2, not NO.

However, in the middle of a sausage, there isnt really any free oxygen available. That's why botulism is a concern, and why we use cultures like bactoferm t-spx. Anaerobic condition result in grown of anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic condition would not favor oxidation of NO2.

Similarly, cure#1 does not become cure#2 in water. Even though there is a lot of oxygen in H2O, there is very little free oxygen.

Maybe I'm missing something, but with all of that in mind, i don't see a path for NO2 to create significant "reserves" of NO3. I would not advocate in favor of skipping out on cure#2 in situations that warrant its use.

P PolishDeli , sorry for the confusion. I’m slow.

What are your thoughts on nitrite pooling and becoming nitrates in say salami? Some places I’ve read claim no nitrate is needed because of the “ pool effect “ of nitrite. I don’t have a lab and am not a scientist.

Could you please provide links to those articles....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky