ABT's and Sausage Balls for a Distancing Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Six of us got together for a distancing party. Everyone brought their own beverages and glasses. We kept a safe distance (including She Who Must Be Obeyed keeping her distance from me for other reasons) and I made ABT's and Sausage Balls that were never touched by me and the people served themselves.

I make a bunch of ABT's and freeze them when my pepper crop comes in. I took some out.

I made my sausage balls by mixing:

• 170 ml (3/4 cup) flour
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
  • 1/2 ml (1/8 tsp) pepper
  • 1 pinch cayenne (can use up to 1 ml for more heat)
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) baking powder
in a large bowl.

I cut in 25 ml (2 tablespoons) cold butter to a fine meal texture.

I mixed 50 ml (1/4 cup) of milk with 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice and added it the flour mixture and stirred to mix.

I added:

• 100 grams (3.5 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
  • 300 grams (10.5 ounces) breakfast sausage meat
  • 75 ml (1/3 cup) finely chopped onion
and mixed it in by folding the dough in half and pressing down until it was well mixed.

I formed balls the size of walnuts and but them on a tray.

DistanceParty01.jpg

I fired the smoker up to 230 F and smoked the ABT's for an hour. Then I cranked the Traeger Timberline up to 400 F. When it got to temperature, I put the sausage balls in and left the ABT's to brown (that took about 15 minutes)

DistanceParty02.jpg

I cooked the sausage balls for 22 minutes at 400 F.

DistanceParty03.jpg

DistanceParty04.jpg

The Verdict

The ABT's were even better than normal with the finishing at 400 F. The bacon got a great texture.

These sausage balls are one of my favourite appetizers. There is just enough dough to stop them from being greasy and to give them a crisp crust. The sausage and cheese make it chewy and so tasty.

Disco

Looks good. I'd love to try those. My wife and pork doesn't get along too well. She loves it, but she has a rough time with it. She will eat it every now and then, still pay the price, because it tastes so good. These are in my future.

They look awesome! Could down a few of those for sure! It's not usually a good thing when SWMBO is social distancing from you.:emoji_wink:

Ryan

Very nice Disco!! It all looks great. Is Texas a safe enough distance that you could send a few my way?? :emoji_wink:

Hoping so,
Robert

Looks very good. Nice job :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks so much!

Looks good. I'd love to try those. My wife and pork doesn't get along too well. She loves it, but she has a rough time with it. She will eat it every now and then, still pay the price, because it tastes so good. These are in my future.

No pork would be tough! Thanks for the kind words.

They look awesome! Could down a few of those for sure! It's not usually a good thing when SWMBO is social distancing from you.:emoji_wink:

Ryan

Thanks. I hear you but, after 45 years, she has a right to stay away once in a while.

Looks very good. The sausage balls are on my to do list!

I don't think you will be sorry. The only down side is they disappear quickly.

Very nice Disco!! It all looks great. Is Texas a safe enough distance that you could send a few my way?? :emoji_wink:

Hoping so,
Robert

Sadly, I suspect your customs people would be suspicious of balls from Canada!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky