ABT Cooking Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpiela

Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hello all,

Is there anything wrong with cooking at a higher temp in order to get the Thanksgiving ABT's done faster? I was thinking about using the vortex on my Weber Kettle but that is usually a hot and fast method.

I dont think it matters much. just till the bacon it rendered and crispy provided you are not using raw meat in the filling, then monitor temps.

Reactions: bpiela
The higher heat from the Vortex may cause the cheese to run out. Depending on how your making them.

Chris

Reactions: bpiela
I am going to give it a try. I will point the top of the jalapenos to the outside of the grill and do my best to keep them as far away from the center as possible. We will see what happens.

As said above at high or low temps(I prefer at least 270-280) the main thing is to keep the cheese from running out, and get the bacon crispy!
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I kept an eye on them. After an hour on the Kettle with the vortex, there was cheese running out. Because of very windy weather, I removed them from the grill and finished in the oven at 400 for another 15 mins. Some cheese did run out, which I think that is just going to happen no matter what. If you pack the jalapenos to the top with the cream cheese mixture, it eventually has to melt and it will need more space. The 15 mins in the oven finished off the bacon and they ended up being delicious. Thanks for everyone's advice and thanks Jeff for the recipe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky