About this hobby of ours...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ecto1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spring, Tx
What I like about this hobby of ours is it is more than just a recipe.  You can have the same ingredient as the next guy but if you don't know how to use your equipment you might as well be serving Big Macs.  BBQ is a skill that must be learned and places like this help that learning curve so much.  When I tell Friends that the sec rest to good BBQ is you cook with Heat not Fire they look at me funny then I explain that in order to really BBQ you must be able to control your Temps or your food will never be consistent.  It is what makes  BBQ guy the envy of the block.  You don't need $10,000 worth of equipment you just need to learn your equipment to the best of your ability.  Patience is the number one virtue and the ability to know when you do something wrong you just try something different next time.  The difference between 250° and 500° is also the difference between great food and take out pizza. 

icon_cool.gif

I have to agree with you we have a craft here. This is like any other food preparation in a fine restaurant but it alittle messier then most fine dining establishment. It might not be pretty food that can cost an arm and a leg our food is just that an arm and a leg. We here love to make this smoked foods and really enjoy teaching others how to enjoy the art of smoking too. Then when we are done we all get to eat some really really good food too.

I'm 65 years old and have done a lot of things in my life, sports, hobbies, etc., but I've found that smoking is one of the greatest challenges yet. Also one of the most satisfying. Nothing beats putting together a great meal for a bunch of friends that they all enjoy so much, or sitting around the smoker smelling smoke & drinking beer with your buds, or creating a recipe on your own. This is a great hobby that I intend to enjoy the rest of my life. Thanks SMF!

lol..  I too been  smoking for  a long  time (20+) years and i done  alot of  different  hobbies but nothing is better  than bbq, grilling , and  smoking  once someone knows  the differents  between the three and control your  temp.  their is nothing better  than smoked meat.... I have  a bradley and i love it, and I built a bbq smoker this last  summer( on a 12' trailer and  now i found myself  wanting to build  a bigger cold smoker  for bacon, cheese ect...friend  keep asking me about  smoking and too share some  with  them, sometimes it's  a all weekend affair so it's  time  to go  bigger,, glad  to have this site...and someone to share thoughts with...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky