About Sauerkraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
This might make more room in frig or take up more room. Some of the benefits of kraut r lost when heated over 118 degrees. The vitamins & minerals will still be there. So to get all the benefits of kraut u need to keep in frig an eat raw. I eat it because I like it. Plus keep few jars in frig to eat raw but will start making bigger batches to can or freeze. Also the best cabbage for kraut is mid- late season. Has more sugar than early cabbage

I ferment kraut... sterilize quart jars, pack the kraut in the jars and store in a small dorm fridge... It stays crisp and beautiful....
Kraut Fermented.jpg

Looks good dave. Nothing wrong with that. Is that red cabbage that gives it the color? I just brought this up so everybody doesn’t think u shouldn’t can kraut to get the benefits of eating raw kraut. If u cook up abatch of pork & kraut (which is a big thing around here. Especially for New Years) some of the benefits r gone. Boy I hope this doesn’t make me sound like some kind of health nut. Oh by the way I eat my raw kraut with a side of bacon.

Gotta read all the threads... I kept changing the process....

Reactions: Jabiru
Gotta read all the threads... I kept changing the process....

Thanks Dave!! I’ll read up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky