Sauerkraut you talked me into it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazzycajun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2007
wichita ks
image.jpg image.jpg 3BEA1376-E6FF-4268-B00B-DC216EFB8F69.jpeg
Okay per the previous thread I went and bought ten store bought cabbage
Slicing and dicing. 15 pounds being pounded into submission. A plate 2gal bags and a plate being used as a weight and a airlock. The wait begins thanks for talking me into going with store bought.

Reactions: zwiller
Yep that thread snagged me too. I ordered a 5 liter crock and a stomper Monday.

A link to the stomper please the potato masher works there was a thread on here a member used a sledgehammer with a plastic bag on it. Don’t think the ceramic crock would like that though:(

Man here we go again don't think I going to be around long enough to do the ever growing list of things to try. This is for sure going on the list. Care to do a step by step somebody like the amounts of cabbage to amount of salt. The rest of the process.

Warren

Looks great. Love the old school setup! Getting me fired up as well...

Food grade plastic buckets and lid also work well for sauerkraut. Coupled with a 3/8" rubber grommet,plastic air lock and cool basement you can produce some very good results.

Crocks are sexy but heavy and easier to damage than one might think. 1G or less is prolly OK but all my family's crocks are huge. FG plastic is the way to go for large batches. The handle alone makes it worthwhile, but also can be used for brining/curing turkeys etc. Maybe the occasional homebrew or cider...

I am pretty sure but want a confirmation that when using an airlock setup that complete submersion is not required since the airlock keeps oxygen out?

Completely submerge just because... Whatever is not submerged, will not ferment properly, if at all... They sell plates to fit specific sized containers... I made one out of a plastic cutting board... I should be in one of my posts... Bag of 2% salt water on top...

Reactions: zwiller
Ok makes sense. It's not about about oxygen but being in contact with the active ferment.

A link to the stomper please the potato masher works there was a thread on here a member used a sledgehammer with a plastic bag on it. Don’t think the ceramic crock would like that though:(
Here's the one I got. Kind of an extravagance admittedly. There are many similar or, as Dave says, a 2" dowel would probably work just as well. Or an old baseball bat.

Reactions: crazzycajun
Dam flash back here....my mom and grandma made sauerkraut in a 55 gallon oak barrel. Enough for the five families living on the ranch. Our front porch smelled the whole time it was fermenting.

My German mother and grandmother always just used an upside down quart mason jar by hand to press it down. Use the rim of the glass pointed down to mash it. Works way better than a flat or round surface. My family has been doing it this way for at least 4 generations that I know of.

Just salt, no sugar. Do it in layers adding a couple inches of shredded cabbage then salt- mash, repeat until cabbage and salt is used up.

The sugar was part of grandmas recipe I’ve yet to see another recipe that calls for it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky