A Tribute To My Friend (Sausage Master)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Few years ago a friend of mine Paul left me in charge of his group. Paul told me to do what i needed to his group (FB) Paul passed away 4 years ago and the group has steadily declined in members. Paul was a very good sausage maker so my tribute to him is to post some of his recipes. I will be posting more as coming days

RIP My friend

Some i have made and some i have not. Please enjoy them and if you make any share.

HILL SAUSAGE #2
Skill level beginner
Tools required no special ones.

I selected this recipe for you Gayle! A simple breakfast sausage. Its my own recipe.
My home made spicy but not hot breakfast sausage.

Hill sausage #2
4lbs. lbs pork Ground
4 tsp Pickling salt
1 TBS. Black Butcher Pepper
5 tsp Ground sage
1 tsp. Parsley
1/2 tsp Red Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Marjoram
2 tsp. Chopped Thyme
1 TBS. Brown sugar
1/2 cup Powdered Dry milk

Water

If you have your own grinder use Pork butt or boneless ribs. They have about a 80/20 fat ratio which is good for sausage. If you have an adapter for your your grinder you can stuff into casings. If not leave it in fresh or patty form. Start out by letting the meat get real cold in fridge but not frozen at all. In the mean time thoroughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl. except the water.Then add enough water to create a good soup. usually no more then 3/4 - 1 cup of water. Then spread out meat on a clean and disinfected counter. Remember germs grow quicker in ground meat then any other cut.Now equally spread the soup on to the meat. And use your hands to massage it in good. Needs to get well mixed Mix it till its ready then mix another 5-10 minutes. Now put in a bowl or tub and cover with cellophane to keep out things like taste or odors. Make sure to pat down tight. Now place in fridge for 12- 24 hours. Giving flavors time to mingle.Then make a small patty and fry it up. Adjust taste and heat from there. Package in vacuum sealed bags and wrap in paper. Then freeze in sizes you'll be able to use at one time.No vacuum sealer use zip locks pushing as much air as possible out. And wrap in freezer paper too.This can be stuff ed in casings if you have the attachment or a stuffer.

Hope you enjoy! And if any questions feel free to ask. And remember the deal to be on here. Pics are required. No pics didn't happen ! LOL!Also tell me how it tastes good or bad. I can take it. But need input to adjust things to others tastes.

Cordon Bleu bacon sticks by Paul
By Paul
I made up this recipe because my wife dont care for meat sticks. But she loves these.
Cordon Bleu bacon sticks

3lbs. Boneless Skinless Thighs
8 oz. Swiss Cheese 1/8"- 1/4 thick chunks( I use thick sliced and cut into 1/8 inches strips one way then the other.
8 oz. Diced Ham 1/8-1/4 " chunks (cut same as swiss)
6 slices Bacon cut to 1/8-1/4" chunks fried and crisped then cooled.
1/3 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1/3 Cup Graded Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Cup Jan's Rub
1/2 + 1/8 tsp of cure #1
1/4 cup real cold water.

Rough grind chicken with large plate. Mix well with all the ingrediants. except water and cure. Set in fridge over night. Next morning remix with cure and water. Then stuff into 17-18mm casings.
Preheat smoker to 130 Degrees. Than put sticks in trays or hang.

130 degree for 1 1/2 hours (without smoke)
140degree for 1 hours (with smoke)
150degree for 1 hours (with smoke)
160degree for 1 hours (with smoke)
170degree (without smoke until IT reaches 165)

Remove to room temp for 2-3 hours to bloom then refridge. Vacume seal and freeze after a couple days.If you prefer a dryer stick put in dehydrator for a few hours after pulling from smoker.

The Original Slim Jim
By Paul
The Original Slim Jim or as close as possible for now! ;)

INGREDIENTS

1 lamb intestine casing (4 feet long)
2 1/2 pounds top round chuck, cubed
1 pound beef fat, cubed
3 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1 teaspoon No. 1 curing salt
4 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1/3 cup lactic-acid starter culture or 6% of fermento or add ECA as directed.

PREPARATION

1.Rinse salt off the sausage casing. Soak in ice water for at least 1 hour.

2.Combine meat and fat. Run the mixture through a meat grinder into a large bowl, using the finest setting. Add all ingredients, along with one cup of ice water. Knead vigorously until mixture is the consistency of bread dough (about 8 minutes).

3.Rinse casing one last time. Choose the narrowest gauge tube of your sausage press. Splash the tube with ice water, then pull the casing over it. Transfer the mixture, about two fistfuls at a time, to the sausage press and then pump the meat into the casing, splashing more water on the tubing as needed to stop the casing from tearing.

4.Preheat an electric smoker to 100 degrees. Hang sausage in the smoker for 22 hours. Temperature should never dip below 90 degrees or go above 110 degrees. After 22 hours, raise the temperature to 150 degrees and cook until the internal temperature reaches 150 to 155 degrees (about 30 minutes).

5.Remove from smoker and let cool at about 50 degrees in a dry place for 4 hours. Cut sausage into 4-inch lengths.YIELD 16 servings

Dry cured and fermented Pepperoni By Brian.
By Paul.
Pepperoni Dry Cured

3 pounds pork shoulder butt
2 pounds lean beef
3 Tbsp. My Paprika mix (equal parts sweet paprika, hot paprika, and Lawry’s Chile and Garlic powder)
2 Tbsp. granulated garlic powder
3 Tbsp. Salt
2 tsp. Anise Seed
2 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne powder
1 tsp. Instacure #2

Note form Brian:
When we mixed this up, before adding the cure we did test batches in the toaster oven by pressing VERY thin patties and placing them on a small cooling rack set into a baking tray. we set the temp to 170 degrees and had the oven fan on to dry this quicker. It took about three hours to get reasonably dried for tasting. I chose to dry it for tasting because frying it affects the taste and won't give the same taste as drying. In any case we could tell with the first test we had a winner.

Note from Paul: To them who don't have a proper drying chamber.
Leave out the cure #2 in this recipe, and add cure #1 then cook in oven or smoker till done and dry.

Basque Chorizo
By Paul.
This is a very mild sausage.

Basque ChorizoIngredients: 2 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder1/2 lbs. beef plate or fatty chuck (you could also use skirt of flank steak)1/2 Cup sweet Spanish or Hungarian paprika*1/4 Cup dried New Mexico (Anhiem) chile puree1/4 Cup minced garlic3 Tbsp dry red wine4 tsp kosher salt2 tsp sugar2 tsp coarsely ground black pepperPinch of ground cloves++1 tsp pink salt dissolved in ¼ cup water (optional)prepared medium hog casings (if you are going to stuff).

Directions:Grind pork and beef through a 3/8” plate.

In large bowl combine ground meat with paprika, chile puree, garlic wine, salt, sugar, black pepper, and cloves. (I generally will mix the meat with the spices prior to grinding).++Add curing salt if you are planning to smoke.

Mix well, kneading the meat and spices until everything is thoroughly mixed. (I like to refrigerate the mixture overnight to allow the spices and pink salt distribute more evenly).

If stuffing your can form into rings, or 10 inch lengths, or 6 inch lengths.

*Chile Puree:In a small bowl, soak two dried New Mexico chiles in enough boiling water to cover them; for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve water. Remove stems and seeds and puree the chiles in a food processor, adding a teaspoon of the reserved soaking water.

Basic Smoking Directions:+NOTE: If you are going to smoke the sausage by these instructions, you needed to have added the pink salt. Just take note that the added pink salt does alter the flavor. If you did not add the pink salt, your only smoking option is to smoke/cook at 225 degrees F or above (with no drying period) until the sausage has reached an internal temperature of 150 degrees F.

Prior to applying smoke, you need to air dry the sausage. You can do this either by air drying uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, or placing them on a kitchen counter in front of a fan until the casings are dry, or placing them in a preheated 110-120 degree F smoker with the vent wide open for about an hour until the sausage is dry to the touch.

You can either arrange the sausage on the racks, or hang from dowels that have been cut to fit the smoker.

After sausage has dried, close the vent to 1/4 open, and increase the heat to 130-140 degrees F, and apply 2-3 hours of smoke.

If you had dried your sausage in the smoker, rotate the racks for top to bottom, and front to back; before applying smoke. If they are hanging by dowels rotate from front to back. I prefer to lay them on racks, for easier rotating. I used pecan for Cajun or Creole types of sausages for the smoke flavor, but maple, apple or hickory can be used.

After smoke has been applied, rotate sausage again. Raise the cabinet temperature to 170-180 degrees F, and continue to smoke until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F.

Remove sausage from smoker, and immediately shock in an ice water bath until the sausage has cooled, and to stop the cooking process.

Remove sausage from bath; air dry, or pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.

A very good way to remember him and because of it many others will get to cherish his recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Reactions: daveomak
Beef sticks
By Paul.
5 Pound beef sticks

5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% 5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
1 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1,Modern Cure #1; )
1-1/2 tsp Black pepper
1-1/2 tsp Garlic salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Crushed red pepper
1/2 Cup cold water
3 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp. Accent (optional)
1 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Hot sause (optional)

Sheep or collagen casings 17 – 19mm
Directions:
In a small bowl mix sugar, water and salt together. Stir until sugar and water are completely dissolved.

In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the dry ingredients except the encapsulated citric acid. Stir until well blended.
Combine wet and dry ingredients with meat and mix well.

ust before stuffing mix in encapsulated citric acid, and stuff mixture into prepared casings. Arrange sausage on racks, and place into the Bradley Smoker.

Apply smoke for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a cabinet temperature of 150°F-160°F. Then bump the cabinet temperate up to 175°F until internal temperature measures 152°F. At this temperature you will have a fresh snake stick style. Or you can continue until you reach your desired dryness or dehydrate further for Slim Jim like dryness.

Trail bologna
By Paul
Trail bologna for 10 lbs.

7 lbs Venison or 90/10 Beef
2 lbs. pork butt
1 lb. beef or pork fat or another lb. of butt
If butts are fatty I use but if not then add fat.
4 Tbs Kosher Salt
2 tsp cure #1.......level tsp
2 Tbs Spanish Paprika
2 1/2 Tbs Onion Powder
3 Tbs garlic powder
3 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp cardamom, ground
3 tsp mustard powder
3 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp mace
1/2 cup cornsyrup solids
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1.5 cup water
2 cups non-fat-dry milk

For a 10 lb batch you will need 8 trail bologna rounds. You can use straight bologna casings also. Soak the casings for 45 mins in cold water and 1 Tbs salt added. Rinse before stuffing. Mix all the above dry with the water . Stuff casings and ring the end. Place in smoker at 140* for 1.5 hrs to dry casings. Smoke at 140.* for 1 hour 1 hour at 150* then to 165* and your looking for a meat IT of 150 -155* Chill in cold water till appro 90* Then hang and Bloom.

For emulsifing Here is some good advise.

on Emulsifiying.(Thank You!)If I am making emulsified sausage, I will use the stainless steel blade from start to finish. I grind the meat and fat separate, and keep them separated. After grinding I chill the meat, and fat. When mixing I use chipped ice and add all the seasoning to the meat; except soy protein concentrate or powdered milk. If you add that at the beginning, those ingredients will bind up too much water, not leaving enough to fully emulsify with the meat. Process until the meat temperature reaches 40°F, add fat and continue to process until meat reaches around 45°F. Add powdered milk or soy protein, and process until the meat reaches 55°F. Be careful at that last step. If the meat reaches 60°F, the emulsification will be ruined.

Reactions: JC in GB
These recipes are mine that Paul posted. They are pretty close

Stick (slim jim) Recipes.
By Rick
Black pepper sticks. You dont have to follow any of these to the recipe add whatever you like.

4 1/2 lbs beef chuck
1/2 lb fresh beef fat
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt
1 tsp Prague Powder #1
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp coriander, ground
1 tsp liquid smoke, optional
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp corn syrup solids
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1 cup ice cold water
22-24mm prepared sheep casing or 18-21mm smoked collagen casing

1. Chill beef and fat to 34°F, grind one time through a 3/16” plate.
2. Combine ground meat with remaining ingredients, mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Stuff meat batter into casings, twist into 18” links, refrigerate product overnight to cure.
4. Next day, hang sticks in preheated 130°F smoker, vents wide open, hold at this temperature for one hour.
5. Add wood chips, close vents, gradually raise (in half hour increments) smoker temperature to 170°F
6. Hold at 170°F until snack sticks reach an internal temperature of 152°F
7. Upon reaching 152°F , remove sticks, shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F
8. Hang black pepper sausage sticks at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
9. Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.

Slim jims

4 1/2 lbs beef chuck
1/2 lb fresh beef fat
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt
1 tsp Prague Powder #1
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp celery seed, ground
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp corn syrup solids
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1 cup ice cold water
22-24mm prepared sheep casing (or 21mm smoked collagen casing)

1. Chill beef and fat to 34°F , grind one time through a 3/16” plate.
2. Combine ground meat with remaining ingredients, mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Stuff meat batter into casings, twist into 18” links, refrigerate product overnight to cure.
4. Next day, hang sticks in preheated 130°F smoker, vents wide open, hold at this temperature for one hour.
5. Add wood chips, close vents, gradually raise (in half hour increments) smoker temperature to 170°F
7. Upon reaching 152°F , remove sticks, shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F
8. Hang slim jimmy snack sticks at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
9. Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months

Original

4 1/2 lbs beef chuck
1/2 lb fresh beef fat
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt
1 tsp Prague Powder #1
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp celery seed, ground
1/2 tsp coriander, ground
3/4 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp corn syrup solids
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1 cup ice cold water
22-24mm prepared sheep casing or 21mm smoked collagen casing

1. Chill beef and fat to 34°F, grind one time through a 3/16” plate.
4. Next day, hang sticks in preheated 130°F smoker, dampers wide open, hold at this temperature for one hour.
7. Upon reaching 152°F remove sticks, shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F
8. Hang original flavored sausage sticks at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
9. Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.

This lebanon bologna was tweaked by myself and Paul.

Lebanon Bologna
By Paul and Rick
Lebanon Bologna

5 lbs. lean beef or venison (venison must be frozen at for at least 3 weeks ahead)
You can use lean ground beef also and skip the 3 week freezing time.
• • 1/2 Cup dark brown sugar
• • 3 Tbsp. salt
• • 3 1/2 tsp. dextrose
• • 2 Tbsp. Ground mustard
• • 4 tsp. black pepper finely ground
• • 1 tsp. pink salt #1
• • 1 tsp. Mace
• • 1 tsp. Ginger
• • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
• • 1 tsp. of Bactoferm F-RM-52 culture
• • 1/4 Cup of molasses
• • 1/4 Cup of distilled water

• • Directions
• • Grind meat through small plate. Mix culture with the water. Rest 5 min. Mix remaining ingredients except brown sugar into the water to make a slurry. Pour slurry and sugar over meat and mix thoroughly. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours to cure
.• Stuff mix into large casings. Hang chubs in an 85 F. Humid environment for 48 hours to ferment. A Ph of less than 5 MUST be achieved
• Smoke 24-48 hours @ < 90 F. (70-90 F)
• Rinse chubs with water and dry with a towel.
• Refrigerate 3-7 days on rack to firm up.

Reactions: JC in GB
I used your friend Paul's recipe as a base for caseless pepperoni sticks. Built a spreadsheet for the ingredient proportions. Used 2 lbs ground turkey and 1.27 lbs ground pork. Let it rest in the fridge for 3 days then used a jerky gun.

No smoker today or dehydrator. Used the oven. 4 hours at 190F on the oven setting, which gave me 175F on the racks with the door cracked a little.

GREAT FLAVOR and mouthfeel! Will cut the salt a little next time. Definitely loved the turkey/pork combo. I hope Paul doesn't mind my changes in the Great Beyond.

Thanks for posting!

Ray
20200623_162919.jpg

Rick,
The recipe for Lebanon Bologna by you and Paul, I don't have the equipment to make the fermented style. If I removed the F-RM-52 and used ECA per package directions and smoked in a regular manner is there anything else in the recipe that I would need to change because of the elimination of the F-RM-52. And for a complete rookie why is there dextrose and dark brown sugar.
Thanks for your help
5BD's

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky