A question for Sassafras smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
Who has used sassafras to smoke, and what is best smoked with this wood?

If I had to guess I would say poultry or pork.

Thanks

I just pulled this up from one of the fourms , I remember seeing it because someone gave some to me, I pitched it out, ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

I should have looked here sooner........deejaydebi has sassafras on her list of woods for smoking on her web page. I guess it is a safe wood, just not as popular.

I assumed it was safe to use since people make Sassafras tea, I just didn't recall anyone talking about it on here.

Ya Rich, I was thinkin the same thing, but the wood I got is super dry. I cut a dead branch off of a live tree so I am hoping it is safe. I am going to wait till I get some more feedback on the subject before using it.

I used to think sassafrse was bad several people told me so, but I found it listed in several books and they sell at online so I guess it's not. I added it to my online chart a few months back.

I also make soda pop and sassafras is one of the thing you use for rootbeer. Some of the US govt site claim it's one of those things that's bad for you but that's the root of the sassafras trees.

I can't really think of any meats I'd want to smell like rootbeer so I never tried it, but I bet it's make great smoked cookies or even biscotti. I may have to smoke my next batch of biscotti to see.

On the sassafras I have heard and read too many bads about it to even try it. Why would you even want to get sick if you have some many good woods you could use. Just my .02 worth.

Hey Ghost, I don't know who knows what any more.
confused.gif
What I do know is, experience is the best teacher. I have read that ELM is a no-no, I have read that its fine. I KNOW, from useing it for more than 5 years, that it is fine. At least, its fine for me, and I have fed quite a few friends in the last 5 years. If, indeed, it was bad, someone would have noticed it by now. Oh well, we each use what we can get, and what we like. Thats why God gave us, free will.
wink.gif
icon_smile.gif
Terry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky