A pork chop from Grandma's times...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice piece of work on that chop Spook! For that kind of dough you are livin' high on the hog and makin' it count. RAY
If you knew how far that is from reality you would laugh yourself into a coma. I am flat-broke, but, as a good friend mentioned a few months ago - I do not live beyond my means. I took that as a compliment.

Just thought I would give myself a treat after being thoroughly disgusted with corporation nauga-food for far too long!

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Here is to your Grandma. Sorry for your loss but some of us never had the chance for a relationship much less have them cook for us. Those folks that did are very lucky indeed.
And... as said that has to be the best darn looking chop ever.
Mangalitsa is on my short list for sure.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Here is to your Grandma. Sorry for your loss but some of us never had the chance for a relationship much less have them cook for us. Those folks that did are very lucky indeed.
And... as said that has to be the best darn looking chop ever.
Mangalitsa is on my short list for sure.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you sir. I know that I was very lucky to have the Grandmother that I did especially considering that other experiences were much more challenging. I am very sorry that you did not have a similar Grandmother experience, especially in light of the way the world is today.

Thanks again for the pork chop compliment and I hope you can find some Mangalitsa pork near you.

Reactions: cutplug
Nice cook on the chop! I actually have my grandmas CI that she cooked chops in just like that! She was a master of the CI pan!

As a kid we raised our own pork and well beef, milk, chickens, turkeys….. we had good eats

Oh forgot lamb too!

Last edited:
Nice cook on the chop! I actually have my grandmas CI that she cooked chops in just like that! She was a master of the CI pan!

As a kid we raised our own pork and well beef, milk, chickens, turkeys….. we had good eats
Thank you sir!

I love my cast iron but this chop was cooked in a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel 10" pan! Since I started using this pan I haven't used anything else - it is really something else. I will never give up my cast iron but carbon steel sure works nice!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Thank you sir!

I love my cast iron but this chop was cooked in a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel 10" pan! Since I started using this pan I haven't used anything else - it is really something else. I will never give up my cast iron but carbon steel sure works nice!
I’m a fan of carbon steel pans as well

Best frying pan I ever used - nothing browns food better and eggs slide around in it like they are cooking on ice!
IMG_1381.JPG

Best frying pan I ever used - nothing browns food better and eggs slide around in it like they are cooking on ice!
View attachment 648400
Nice looking pan! Don't have any pans from grandma but we remodeled her house that my dad grew up in...it had been abandoned for over 20 years. But we do have the 20 gallon Redwing crock that was buried almost to the top in the basement floor.

20221112_092416.jpg

Ryan

What a delicious piece of pork - a Porterhouse pork chop from a nearby farm. 16.4-ounces for $22.96 and worth every penny. I haven't tasted pork this good since I was a kid at Grandma's, may she rest in peace.

Simple salt, pepper and garlic powder.
View attachment 648328

In the pan
View attachment 648327

On the plate
View attachment 648326
Moist, tender, and taste fantastic - the way a pork chop should be!
My grandparents did pork chops too! Lots of good memories!!

Nice looking pan! Don't have any pans from grandma but we remodeled her house that my dad grew up in...it had been abandoned for over 20 years. But we do have the 20 gallon Redwing crock that was buried almost to the top in the basement floor.
Ryan
That is a big batch of kraut. Lid?
That crock is worth a dollar or hundred.
I've got a CI skillet from mother and grandmother. Also have grandmother's bone saw.

That is a big batch of kraut. Lid?
That crock is worth a dollar or hundred.
I've got a CI skillet from mother and grandmother. Also have grandmother's bone saw.
Lid was just a few slats of boards nailed together. But from my understanding they salted their meat then put it in crock

Ryan

Great looking chop. And I get all my pork from Home Place Pastures not far from where I live. They have all pasture raised pork and beef. No steroids or antibiotics. Needless to say it is far superior to what you get from the store. it cost more, but worth every penny.
Jim

Great looking chop. I have not seen one like that since I was in Iowa circa 2003. It was 1.25-1.5 inches thick, slightly pink in the middle with a kiss of applewood smoke. It was delicious.

I commented to the table about the pink when I cut into it. They just smiled and told me I was OK, haha. I was such a noob.

Very deserving the carousel ride!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky