A pellet smoker that actually smokes meat??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the new RT 1250
You know I like my Webers . From the start I liked the looks of the SmokeFire . I know looks don't make the food , but if I'm gonna look at it everyday I have to like the way it looks .
I looked at them for a long time . I liked the fit and finish on the EX4 , and the features . Wasn't until they dropped the price to $799 and added the extra stuff that I decided to get one . No regrets .
Now that the price has gone back up to 1k for the EX4 , I would see what else was out there in that range . Knowing how a pellet grill works , and if it came down to just one , I would probably spend more money on something in the next price range .

You know I like my Webers . From the start I liked the looks of the SmokeFire . I know looks don't make the food , but if I'm gonna look at it everyday I have to like the way it looks .
I looked at them for a long time . I liked the fit and finish on the EX4 , and the features . Wasn't until they dropped the price to $799 and added the extra stuff that I decided to get one . No regrets .
Now that the price has gone back up to 1k for the EX4 , I would see what else was out there in that range . Knowing how a pellet grill works , and if it came down to just one , I would probably spend more money on something in the next price range .
The Weber SF is a nice looking unit! I looked at them really close as I was getting ready to get the new one. Realize I spent about twice what you did and its not twice as good.......I also like the fact that it has flavor bars as that adds grilling functionality over the perm drip pan....The RT is NOT a griller/searer at all! My Memphis was a good giller.....

I also like the cooking chamber layout of the Timberline (and Ironwood) Traeger...but it is $$$. My co-worker Traeger Pro with the D2 and he loves it as well, he dumped is non-D2 one after 3 months...

I wanted a Yoder 640 but it was just a little too much $$$ plus the it was a 6 hour drive round trip to get.....

Reactions: chopsaw
M MrAhmerGamer is probably thinking, ‘what have I started?”
Lots of things for you to think about.

The original question was, is there a pellet smoker that can actually smoke meat?

Simple Answer: Yes.

It’s a matter of, what are you looking for in a smoker.

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer

The original question was, is there a pellet smoker that can actually smoke meat?

Bingo 40 something posts and bickering later it's still what I put in the 2nd post. No it won't smoke like a stick burner but it is a whole lot easier and will impart some smoke flavor.
I have a Pit Boss my neighbor has a Pit Boss vertical another neighbor has a Treager and yet another has a green egg they all will produce good food but if you want to spend the time required none of them produce the quality of food my Lang does. That said I will say again I use my Pit Boss a lot more than I do my Lang.

Reactions: TulsaJeff and DougE
I have a Pit Boss my neighbor has a Pit Boss vertical another neighbor has a Treager and yet another has a green egg they all will produce good food but if you want to spend the time required none of them produce the quality of food my Lang does. That said I will say again I use my Pit Boss a lot more than I do my Lang.
Exactly. I got my Camp Chef mainly for the reason that I knew it was going to get used a lot. Does it compare to a stick burner, or charcoal with chunks? No, it isn't as good, but it produces decent smoked food with minimal effort and it beats whatever comes out of the oven in the kitchen. There is also somewhat of a learning curve to make pellet grills perform the best they can for what they are.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Exactly. I got my Camp Chef mainly for the reason that I knew it was going to get used a lot. Does it compare to a stick burner, or charcoal with chunks? No, it isn't as good, but it produces decent smoked food with minimal effort and it beats whatever comes out of the oven in the kitchen. There is also somewhat of a learning curve to make pellet grills perform the best they can for what they are.

Exactly I've used propane, charcoal, electric and wood splits and if I had to rank them it would be something like this
1- Wood
2- Charcoal with wood chunks
3- Pellet Grill/Smoker
4- Propane with amazen smoker and pellets
5 The old electric ECB with chips
Probably between 3 and 4 would be a modified MES using an amazen and pellets

That being my ranking the oven in the house doesn't even make the list

It's just the wife and I on our farm and she works an off farm job full time. I can get the pellet smoker going and do whatever I'm doing that day and just check on it once in awhile and have a good meal for us that evening. I sure can't fire up the Lang and get work done it just requires to much time tending to it.

Reactions: DougE
Instead of relying on google, do some real research on some of the SF forums. You're perpetuating a story that doesn't ring true in real life.
A Smokefire user since November 2020 and has never had a grease fire. Grease fires on the SF result from owners not reading the manual and not cleaning the grill properly.
What story am I perpetuating that isn’t true? That you need to use drip pans in the SF? That it hasn’t had issues More so than others?

All true stuff. I’ve recommended people look at these, as I think they are one of the best all around grill/smoker pellets grills around for the $, but they can lead to issues if you don’t pay attention to it. The grease drains to the middle of the unit where the fire burns. You mix in ash to this grease and it doesn’t drain. That’s the nature of the design. There are plenty of people that buy Recteqs and other pellet grills, and don’t clean them all the time and don’t have issues. Can’t really do that on the SF.

What story am I perpetuating that isn’t true? That you need to use drip pans in the SF? That it hasn’t had issues More so than others?

All true stuff. I’ve recommended people look at these, as I think they are one of the best all around grill/smoker pellets grills around for the $, but they can lead to issues if you don’t pay attention to it. The grease drains to the middle of the unit where the fire burns. You mix in ash to this grease and it doesn’t drain. That’s the nature of the design. There are plenty of people that buy Recteqs and other pellet grills, and don’t clean them all the time and don’t have issues. Can’t really do that on the SF.
Lot's of book learning there buddy. But if you haven't got one, then who's listening to you. I go a couple of months on my SF without cleaning with no adverse effects whatsoever. You have no real world experience with the cooker.

i was catching up and thinking the same thing.

Yes, there are great pellet grills that smoke great product. It comes down to budget, size and options/functionality. What is important for YOUR grill to have may not be important to someone else and such. Budgets can run about as high as you want to go. I made a spreadsheet of pellet grills in my budget, then analyzed the options, functions, build materials, warranties etc., and reviews. I suggest running that exercise and choosing what works for you.

Many of us are bias to what we have. because that's what we chose and we like the product it creates with the functionality it provides.

Good luck on your search.

I’m not sure which Pit Boss your buddy uses, but I don’t think they are different than Traeger, a heating element burns pellets. If you read their descriptions on how they work, it’s identical. Traeger is just more money. They are different designs though. I have a Traeger now and enjoy it for all the reasons above, but I used to have a MES 40 I loved even more and was cheaper. It’s up to your preference and budget, but I wouldn’t let a friend who has a somewhat misinformed opinion sway you.
In talking and clarifying with him, after this great thread in which I am so much more informed, turns out the Pit Boss is essentially the same thing as a traditional Traeger. Just much cheaper and not pretending to be a grill. His point is that you can buy a few more tools to cook with to create some great BBQ for the price of one Ironwood.

Reactions: bauchjw
M MrAhmerGamer I suggest watching the video I posted a few days ago comparing Yoder, GMG, P&S and Weber. From my own person research, the Weber SmokeFire produce the most smoke flavored product from any pellet grill. If you want even more smoke flavor and still be lazy, I suggest getting a gravity fed charcoal smoker like the Masterbuilt or Char-Griller.
Where do I find the video? Thanks!

i was catching up and thinking the same thing.

Yes, there are great pellet grills that smoke great product. It comes down to budget, size and options/functionality. What is important for YOUR grill to have may not be important to someone else and such. Budgets can run about as high as you want to go. I made a spreadsheet of pellet grills in my budget, then analyzed the options, functions, build materials, warranties etc., and reviews. I suggest running that exercise and choosing what works for you.

Many of us are bias to what we have. because that's what we chose and we like the product it creates with the functionality it provides.

Good luck on your search.
Cliffs notes, haha. What did you go with?

I now have a problem with this thread :emoji_astonished: Rich went and started talking about the SF and then started that thread with all the great looking food :emoji_laughing: I had just about decided I needed one of the gravity fed smokers and now Rich has me thinking I need to consider the SF so now I'm back to the thinking process again

Many of us are bias to what we have.

YEP; These debates are age old and been around forever about ANYTHING. Best car, best guitar, best rifle, best cordless drill... Owning the "best" does NOT guarantee better results. The results are mostly dictated by the operator more than anything. I am BLOWN AWAY with my results with my $99 MES and AMNPS.

Reactions: denny and chopsaw
A stick burner and a Pellet smoker are two different animals. The best IMHO is the stick burner as far as taste and smoke flavor.

Now I do have a Pellet smoker, PitBoss 700FB and I do like it as far as a set and forget system. I use the pellet during the winter and my stick burner during warm weather so I can sit there and tend to the fire and drink beer.

Nothing beats a stick burner as far as smoked meats but that is just my opinion.

I now have a problem with this thread :emoji_astonished: Rich went and started talking about the SF and then started that thread with all the great looking food :emoji_laughing: I had just about decided I needed one of the gravity fed smokers and now Rich has me thinking I need to consider the SF so now I'm back to the thinking process again
That's the curse of this place. I keep finding things I need, that I never knew I needed in the first place.

A stick burner and a Pellet smoker are two different animals. The best IMHO is the stick burner as far as taste and smoke flavor.

Now I do have a Pellet smoker, PitBoss 700FB and I do like it as far as a set and forget system. I use the pellet during the winter and my stick burner during warm weather so I can sit there and tend to the fire and drink beer.

Nothing beats a stick burner as far as smoked meats but that is just my opinion.
I doubt anyone would argue that point, but the question is more along the lines of can you produce decent smoked foods on a pellet grill. And you absolutely can.

As of yesterday I'm a proud owner of Smoke Daddy Pellet 1190 grill/smoker, the patriot wifi pid controller and the big cahuna cold smoker. I can't wait to do my 1st cook in this smoker.
I researched the crap out of pellet grills, watched hours of videos on youtube and settled on Smoke Daddy. This little known family owned business has several innovations that I wanted. The wifi PID controller is fantastic, cold smoker that mounts easily to the grill and the Heavy D stick burning diffuser. I can't yet speak of how the meat will taste, but I'm sure it'll be fine
If you haven't seen these yet check'em out

Reactions: chesterinflorida
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky