A-Maze-N vs ProQ Cold Smoke Generators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes on both questions. Just remove the chip tray and pull the chip loader out two inches or so. Put the smoker to the far left of the heating element. By pulling the chip tray out part way it allows air to get in to keep the pellets lite.

Jack

I am a newbie here, and have been thinking on cold smokers for making smoked cheese and fish,  can you use the AMNPS for cold smoke and hot smoke? I have a 30 MES and wondered if I could use it all the time instead of the chip loader, 
Both answers----Absolutely.

Bear

Are there any retailers where I can go and buy one ove these A-mazin-smokers? Or do I have to buy one online? I stopped by one of my local Smoker supply stores and he looked at me like i was crazy when i described it to him. Then I showed him a picture and he pretty much told me to leave in a round about way, by saying, "I told you I never heard of it" and turned around and walked off. I guess these texas boys arent too keen on cold smokes and smokers you cant pull behind your truck.
I saw one in a retail store in Olathe, KS, yesterday, 7/12/13, if that helps.

Yes on both questions. Just remove the chip tray and pull the chip loader out two inches or so. Put the smoker to the far left of the heating element. By pulling the chip tray out part way it allows air to get in to keep the pellets lite.

Jack

Just love using the AMNPS, although I do have minor issues getting the unit to initially continue burning. Should I remove the chip tray totally or the chip loader? I have a 40 in MES.
[/quote]

Last edited:
Have had the "ProQ"  and  "A-maze-n" for about 4 years, they both do a good job. The sawdust works better for me if I measure out what I want to use, then dump it on a cookie sheet and spread it around. I then bake the dust at 250* for 30 min. to dry it out. Living in southwest Oregon, things can get damp. The "A-maze-n" can put out enough heat to melt the cheese in my smoker, so I put the water pan above it and fill it with cold water and ice. That way the warm smoke moves over cold pan and pulls the heat out, it works pretty good. Just be sure to raise one side of the pan a little,  when water condenses on it you want it to drip off to the side not onto the sawdust.

Have had the "ProQ"  and  "A-maze-n" for about 4 years, they both do a good job. The sawdust works better for me if I measure out what I want to use, then dump it on a cookie sheet and spread it around. I then bake the dust at 250* for 30 min. to dry it out. Living in southwest Oregon, things can get damp. The "A-maze-n" can put out enough heat to melt the cheese in my smoker, so I put the water pan above it and fill it with cold water and ice. That way the warm smoke moves over cold pan and pulls the heat out, it works pretty good. Just be sure to raise one side of the pan a little,  when water condenses on it you want it to drip off to the side not onto the sawdust.
Put water in a jug & freeze it---Then you won't get condensation on the bottom of your pan.

Also ice in the jug won't add humidity to your Amazing Dust or Pellets.

Bear

Reactions: gimmeharmony
Sadly I got my AMPS in today and I noticed the build quality to be a bit lesser than what I saw on the website. Then I noticed the box had a MADE IN CHINA sticker on it. Had I known this going in I might have put a bit more research into the ProQ. 

Not sure what you expected, but If for any reason you don't like the AMNPS 5x8, send it back and I'll refund your $$$

Todd

Sadly I got my AMPS in today and I noticed the build quality to be a bit lesser than what I saw on the website. Then I noticed the box had a MADE IN CHINA sticker on it. Had I known this going in I might have put a bit more research into the ProQ.
I've been using the AMNPS--which is different than the AMPS--for a year and I never saw a Made in China sticker on mine. Wouldn't care anyway. It's worked great for both hot and cold smoking and you will not find better customer service anywhere else. Todd has kept me very happy which is the reason I'll be buying the Maverick ET-732, which is made in China, to use inside my Masterbuilt 30" electric water smoker...also made in China. You really can't escape purchasing Chinese-made goods anymore, as much as it upsets me.

Have no idea if Todd has the AMNPS manufactured overseas. But he's a small businessman with a thriving business and perhaps that's the best way for him to keep production up and the prices down.

I noticed a lot of excellent reviews on the AMAZE. I like cold smoking and have gobs of fresh cut smoking woods both fruit and nut, but it is a bit of a pain when it's warm to cold smoke even with just 2 or 3 coals lit. Just wondering if the pellets give off that good a flavor compared to chunk?  
Take it from me, an AMNPS owner: oh yes.

Just wondering if there's anyway to still get a 100% made in USA smoker or they all made by Chinese children now?

Just wondering if there's anyway to still get a 100% made in USA smoker or they all made by Chinese children now?
That's a funny comment. My wife always hassles me when I talk about Chinese children making stuff in factories--but it's a true statement and she knows it.

If you're willing to pay a minimum of $800-$1000 including settling for a scratch-and-dent smoker, yes, you can find 100% Made in USA smokers. Since they're too rich for my blood I settled for a $190 Chinese-made smoker.

I have only used the a-maze-n pellet smoker, and it is extraordinary. I use it directly in the bottom of my wsm and it raises temps inside by about 10f, which means probably 320 days a year I can cold smoke at night where I live. I do find it a pain to get lit with just a torch though. But like when I start a camp fire with wet wood, a little alcohol based gel hand sanitizer, and it lights perfectly everytime with a standard match and gives a smooth even burn for 10+ hours.

Last edited:
Just got my amnps works great. Bit of a pain who light but not as bad as I thought reading all the reviews. I think the pellets you use make a big difference, I got a bag of louisiana grills pellets and I noticed they seem to have some kind of shiny coating on them and they are harder to get going than the bag that came with it. Definitely doesn't work well over 275 either was in a rush one day and the whole tray lit up on me haha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky