A-MAZE-N Round vs Square

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gobae

Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I'm looking into getting one of the A-MAZE-N cold smokers. But I can't seem to find any info on their site about the primary benefits/drawbacks to the round tubular vs rectangular/square smokers.

Is it just convenience depending on what you'll be putting them in? Also, I assume main functionality of the size differences is burn time?

Thanks!

So the square one was made primarily for the MES 30 ... but works in others as well.... another advantage of the square one is that it will burn both sawdust or pellets ... sawdust puts out less heat than the pellets... the pellets put out more smoke though ... the tube will burn pellets only and puts out even more smoke than the square one... but in turn also puts out more heat ... so pending on what your cold smoking and the ambient temps when cold smoking as to which one would be better ...

So the square one was made primarily for the MES 30 ... but works in others as well.... another advantage of the square one is that it will burn both sawdust or pellets ... sawdust puts out less heat than the pellets... the pellets put out more smoke though ... the tube will burn pellets only and puts out even more smoke than the square one... but in turn also puts out more heat ... so pending on what your cold smoking and the ambient temps when cold smoking as to which one would be better ...

Sounds like its best to buy both then.

Reactions: Gobae
Another thing to consider is oxygen requirements. The tray does not work well at higher altitudes, or in smokers that burn fuel for heat, as they are typically O2 deprived. The tube requires less O2.

I use a tube, but it's in a mailbox setup, so heat isn't an issue. If you're setting inside your smoker the tray might be a better route, especially if you want to cold smoke.
And yes, the size just gives more smoking time.

The primary use (at this point) would be smoking homemade cheeses. The max temp on most of these cheeses would be 93-97F. But ideally I'd like to be no hotter than 88F.

As I saw in another recent thread, the Weber kettle grill will work and has damper controls. So, I was planning on using that to smoke in.

The primary use (at this point) would be smoking homemade cheeses. The max temp on most of these cheeses would be 93-97F. But ideally I'd like to be no hotter than 88F.

As I saw in another recent thread, the Weber kettle grill will work and has damper controls. So, I was planning on using that to smoke in.

In a case like this you would want to use the tray with sawdust... you can light both ends for a little more smoke and still will be less heat than pellets...

I have the tube.
1) it will not burn sawdust
2) 100% pellets have a hard time staying lit in my pellet grill. No fire but fan running. Works best with lower quality pellets. Kinda useless In that sense.

I have the AMZN tube smoker I use in my pellet smoker.

Nuke your pellets for a minute or so in the microwave before loading them in the tube.
Always "pack" the tube by slamming it down closed-end first on a hard surface (like packing a cigarette)
I use a blowtorch to light it. Keep it standing up while lighting. Let it burn down to embers before putting it in your smoker.
HTH-

I have both the tray and tube. I have had some trouble getting either to stay lit in my MES with pellets (even after nuking) but I have had good success with both using dust. Puts out a nice thin smoke. I even like the tube better for dust. I get about 6-7 hours out of the expandable tube filled with dust. I do put afew pellets on the top for lighting (the dust is just blown away from the torch). I am really happy with how it is working in my setup. Keep playing around and you will find something that works for you. Definitely use dust for smoking cheese. Great smoke and much cooler than pellets. Sometimes I keep the door cracked open if needed to keep below 80 degrees. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky