A Load of Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was given a coupon for 15% off cheese at a local supermarket. This lowered the cost of cheese here to merely exorbitant.

I picked up:

Provolone

Gruyere

Montery Jack

Old Cheddar

Edam

I normally use my AMNPS to do cheese at it burns quite cool with sawdust. However, it does not work well with cherry and I wanted to try cherry so I used the pucks in my Bradley. As the area that ignites the pucks does produce heat, I froze water in a juice bottle to help keep the temperature down even though it was -9 C at the time.

I loaded up the Bradley and set it up to smoke for 3 hours.

It kept temperature fairly well but was crawling up over 70 F so I added a tray of ice cubes. That kept it around 65 F.

After 3 hours, I wrapped it in cellophane and packed it in Ziploc bags.

The part I hate about smoking cheese is now I need to let it age. Sigh.

Disco

Nice variety. How long do you plan to age it?
A good question. In a prior post, I tried cheese I smoked at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks. There is no doubt that it improves with longer aging but it is tough to wait that long. At 2 weeks it is ok but I am pretty sure I will go to at least 6 weeks. However, that is just for the first tasting. A lot of it will be aged considerably longer as I use it up.

I wish I had enough fridge room to do several pounds at a time and always have cheese at least a couple of months old around. However, If I put that much in the fridge, She Who Must Be Obeyed gets testy.

So the short answer is, I will start eating it in about 4 weeks but will spread it out for a couple of months.

Disco

A good question. In a prior post, I tried cheese I smoked at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks. There is no doubt that it improves with longer aging but it is tough to wait that long. At 2 weeks it is ok but I am pretty sure I will go to at least 6 weeks. However, that is just for the first tasting. A lot of it will be aged considerably longer as I use it up.

I wish I had enough fridge room to do several pounds at a time and always have cheese at least a couple of months old around. However, If I put that much in the fridge, She Who Must Be Obeyed gets testy.

So the short answer is, I will start eating it in about 4 weeks but will spread it out for a couple of months.

Disco

Thx, that is good info. Recently bought the cold smoke adapter for my Bradley but haven't tried it yet. May have to try this soon.
Roy

Last edited:
Thx, that is good info. Recently bought the cold smoke adapter for my Bradley but haven't tried it yet. May have to try this soon.
Roy
Absolutely! Give it a try! I should mention that the pucks give a strong smoke flavour. I like it but you might want to try 2 or 2 1/2 hours of smoke if you aren't into heavily smoked cheese using the pucks.

Disco

My wife likes very mildly apple smoked gouda that we buy at the farmers market in the summer. Maybe I can get her hooked on some variety if I can control the smoke to her liking. I think I would really like the Gruyere and Jack. I would also like to try some Blue. They sell some Maytag Blue made in Maytag, Iowa around here that is probably the best blue I've tasted. I bet a little smoke would make it even better. Oh, I'm in need of a snack. Regards.

My wife likes very mildly apple smoked gouda that we buy at the farmers market in the summer. Maybe I can get her hooked on some variety if I can control the smoke to her liking. I think I would really like the Gruyere and Jack. I would also like to try some Blue. They sell some Maytag Blue made in Maytag, Iowa around here that is probably the best blue I've tasted. I bet a little smoke would make it even better. Oh, I'm in need of a snack. Regards.
I know what you mean. I had to introduce the missus to lightly smoked cheese at first but I have been working it up and she likes a nice level of smoke now.

Disco

Looking very good Disco!  I agree that the hardest part is the wait..but you will be rewarded with the tasty results!

Nicely done Sir!

Red

Looking very good Disco!  I agree that the hardest part is the wait..but you will be rewarded with the tasty results!

Nicely done Sir!

Red
Thanks, Red. That is the only thing that makes it worthwhile!

Disco

nice stuff

i have smoked cheese a couple times now and have learned to let it age. i take it from the smoker and let it sit for a day and then vacuum pack it.

then just keep it in my fridge in the shop. when i open it there seems to be a bit of sweat or humidity on the cheese. the bags are sealed well...

cheese tastes great, was just wondering if im screwing up or if i should change the way i am packaging. maybe let the cheese stand at room temp 1st or something....

HELP...

nice stuff

i have smoked cheese a couple times now and have learned to let it age. i take it from the smoker and let it sit for a day and then vacuum pack it.

then just keep it in my fridge in the shop. when i open it there seems to be a bit of sweat or humidity on the cheese. the bags are sealed well...

cheese tastes great, was just wondering if im screwing up or if i should change the way i am packaging. maybe let the cheese stand at room temp 1st or something....

HELP...
Sorry, I don't vacuum pack so I don't know the answer. You might want to personal message Mr T 59874. He does a lot of cheese and might be able to answer your question re the sweat on the cheese.

nice stuff

HELP...
Did you let your cheese air dry in the fridge for a day or so before packing?

C'est Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!! How beautiful Disco! 

I am so impressed with people smoking cheese! (I've never done it).

Hopefully, you'll share a taste paired with wine, (in our vino group), when sampling your smoked cheese! As wine and cheese are better than, well, better than many more overrated things!!!!

Great job!!!!

Cheers!! - Leah

Hopefully, you'll share a taste paired with wine, (in our vino group), when sampling your smoked cheese! As wine and cheese are better than, well, better than many more overrated things!!!!

Great job!!!!

Cheers!! - Leah
As you speak so shall it be. When I try the cheese I will post on what I drink with it. Hopefully it isn't the day I am drinking ripple.

Disco

It looks GREAT. They have cheese on sale here so I am stocking up. The longer you let it age. I look forward to hearing how the cherry turns out.I have never tried cherry with cheese The better it taste.Thanks for sharing.

Happy smoken.

David
I know. I have eaten cheese that I smoked 3 months prior and it is better but I am not a strong willed person. It will be difficult. Thanks for the kind words.

Disco

Great job!!!!

Cheers!! - Leah
My mom would make a cake that was called better than... many overrated things. Ha

Nice Disco, I need to do more very soon.  Like this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky