A little experiment & a Porterhouse steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Many of you know that I just recently purchased a RT 1250. So of course I have been trying different things with it. Yesterday I added a water pan, and put some wood chunks on top of the burn pot cover. I didn’t know what to expect so I kept a close eye on it with a fire extinguisher.

3EE65416-8189-4411-9235-D71FF14EE00A.jpeg

35B1E4F9-68F9-4948-9710-133E0DCE957F.jpeg

I set the RT to 225 to see if I would get any smoke flavor from the chunks. Normally I would have just started out on Extreme smoke.
E5246F36-AC86-4B8A-ADC3-C288A2646D3D.jpeg

And now for the star of the show!!

AA020FE5-7F78-42C8-B78C-153BDD3D0272.jpeg

Perfect for a Sunday night dinner!
Into the RT!

D1247A79-1ACF-4564-8E55-289EE5A35C93.jpeg

Let it go about 1 1/2 hours to an IT of 120. It really took on some nice color.

2316BF5F-0DE8-4DBD-B9D6-662BB662FBF6.jpeg

OK now to season & put a crust on it. Just basic, Worsty, MSS, CBP.

46C6D578-8A50-4993-856F-66F9F4EB3C22.jpeg

All seasoned up & ready for the grill.

127C57DC-0F54-44E5-9186-8447BDF7030E.jpeg

Threw on some mushrooms, onions, & little potato’s.

94283914-9D84-4056-9972-D0ADBE9F7FFC.jpeg

Here it is!

8B472E3C-F3A6-4628-A21A-703E35FCDEC4.jpeg

3EECAEC6-B4C3-4DF5-AB05-897598037780.jpeg

Without a doubt this was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Incredibly tender, juicy, & full of beefy flavor. Very impressed with the CPB beef.
On to the experiment. I liked the water pan idea, kept the grill clean & was easy to clean out. Not sure if it made any difference in the meat taste or tenderness. But need to try it on a longer cook. As for the wood chunks on the CI cover, I don’t think I gave them enough time to work. Just like the water pan, I need to do this for ribs or something that takes a few hours to cook. About 1 hour into the cook I did start to notice a different smell, so I know the wood was just getting started. Kinda like when you leave a split on top of the fire box too long & it starts to smolder. The good news is the grill didn’t catch on fire. Here are the chunks after the smoker cooled down.

44ECC091-4FA0-47F8-A32A-F975FB0A4D22.jpeg

Before & after.

3EE65416-8189-4411-9235-D71FF14EE00A.jpeg 44ECC091-4FA0-47F8-A32A-F975FB0A4D22.jpeg

I think this may work, especially at higher temps., or longer cooks.
I’m going to keep playing with my new toy.
Also wish I didn’t have 80 lbs. of RT pellets left. Really like the Lumberjack brand.
Thanks for stopping by guys!
Al

That's a good looking steak Al - Nice Job!!! I wonder if you prelit the chunks with a torch it would work better.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinAl
I have the 700 and not have needed extra smoke beyond an added tube here and there.
I do like the way you seasoned that steak though!
Of course that CPB does not much and you made it proud.
Great looking steak!

Great looking steak . Nothing like real wood smoke on beef .
Nice work .

Not pellet , but I use wood chunks in my MES . This is what I figured out . I have to be over 200 . The size and quantity matters . To big they won't smoke . To many they won't smoke . Yes longer time is needed too . I would think if you went with 2 smaller more square chunks you'd have a better result .

20201017_111227.jpg
20201017_133659.jpg

Thats a fine looking steak Al! I'm thinking some shredded wood like the stuff you put in a little chief smoker would work better for the short cook. Also 3-4 lit charcoal coals and then a chunk on top of them on the far left on the CC would add as well.

PS, This winter/spring I'm going to add a rack slot just 2.5-3 inches above the main rack level so I can run a water/drip pan for larger cuts of meat. I mean having mirepoix in a fluid pan under the protein is a golden cooking tool that is often lost in a pellet smoker. I see several new models having multiple slots for the rack and kudos for that!

Many of you know that I just recently purchased a RT 1250. So of course I have been trying different things with it. Yesterday I added a water pan, and put some wood chunks on top of the burn pot cover. I didn’t know what to expect so I kept a close eye on it with a fire extinguisher.

View attachment 646778
View attachment 646780

I set the RT to 225 to see if I would get any smoke flavor from the chunks. Normally I would have just started out on Extreme smoke.View attachment 646781

And now for the star of the show!!

View attachment 646779

Perfect for a Sunday night dinner!
Into the RT!

View attachment 646782

Let it go about 1 1/2 hours to an IT of 120. It really took on some nice color.

View attachment 646783

OK now to season & put a crust on it. Just basic, Worsty, MSS, CBP.

View attachment 646784

All seasoned up & ready for the grill.

View attachment 646785

Threw on some mushrooms, onions, & little potato’s.

View attachment 646786

Here it is!

View attachment 646787
View attachment 646788

Without a doubt this was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Incredibly tender, juicy, & full of beefy flavor. Very impressed with the CPB beef.
On to the experiment. I liked the water pan idea, kept the grill clean & was easy to clean out. Not sure if it made any difference in the meat taste or tenderness. But need to try it on a longer cook. As for the wood chunks on the CI cover, I don’t think I gave them enough time to work. Just like the water pan, I need to do this for ribs or something that takes a few hours to cook. About 1 hour into the cook I did start to notice a different smell, so I know the wood was just getting started. Kinda like when you leave a split on top of the fire box too long & it starts to smolder. The good news is the grill didn’t catch on fire. Here are the chunks after the smoker cooled down.

View attachment 646789

Before & after.

View attachment 646778View attachment 646789

I think this may work, especially at higher temps., or longer cooks.
I’m going to keep playing with my new toy.
Also wish I didn’t have 80 lbs. of RT pellets left. Really like the Lumberjack brand.
Thanks for stopping by guys!
Al
Man that steak looks l good, just received some ribeyes from WF, hope mine looks like that! Nice cook

I'm with chopsaw. I find I have to set a pellet machine to ~320F to get the added smoking wood smoking, then when I clearly have the extra desired smoke, reduce the temp control to the low 200's or whatever I want to do the bulk of the cooking at.
These numbers can vary depending on a dozen variables but I think your pictures prove the wood didn't get to do much smoking...just didn't get hot enough to get them going.

Great looking steak Al. Not sure if you do but I always add boiling water to pan. I been fairly happy with the Smokehouse pellets from Sam's but I bought the Hickory ones because they had them cheap and got hardly any smoke flavor from them. Will be adding the tube to use these up. I wish I could afford to try those steaks but not in the cards for me. I will just be glad when SS starts in another year.

Knew the steak would be great, since you were doing it Al. 80 lbs of pellets will take a while. How about running hot and fast on some thick chuckies a couple of times. Could do same with an extra brisket then cut into chunked portions large enough for batches of chili, vac and freeze.

That's a good looking steak Al - Nice Job!!! I wonder if you prelit the chunks with a torch it would work better.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris!
Your idea may work, I’m also thinking at 225, maybe mixing in some wood chips to get it going might work too.
Al

Yum! That looks perfect and I'm sure it tasted that way too. Nicely done Al

Nice looking meal.
Jim

Thanks fellas!
Al

I guess those wood chunks are nice a dry now :-)

Yes Sir, they are dry indeed!
Al

I have the 700 and not have needed extra smoke beyond an added tube here and there.
I do like the way you seasoned that steak though!
Of course that CPB does not much and you made it proud.
Great looking steak!

I have used the tube & also the extreme smoke setting. I just like to experiment with different ideas, I’m not going to give up on this. Thank you for the nice comments on the steak!
Al

Really looks good Al!

great looking steak and thanks for trying some experiments with your pellet grill!!

Fine lookin steak

Thank you guys!
Al

Great looking steak . Nothing like real wood smoke on beef .
Nice work .

Not pellet , but I use wood chunks in my MES . This is what I figured out . I have to be over 200 . The size and quantity matters . To big they won't smoke . To many they won't smoke . Yes longer time is needed too . I would think if you went with 2 smaller more square chunks you'd have a better result .

View attachment 646799
View attachment 646801

Thanks Chop!
The chunks have to be pretty thin or they won’t fit between the drip pan & the fire pot cover. This is definitely a work in progress!
Al

Thats a fine looking steak Al! I'm thinking some shredded wood like the stuff you put in a little chief smoker would work better for the short cook. Also 3-4 lit charcoal coals and then a chunk on top of them on the far left on the CC would add as well.

PS, This winter/spring I'm going to add a rack slot just 2.5-3 inches above the main rack level so I can run a water/drip pan for larger cuts of meat. I mean having mirepoix in a fluid pan under the protein is a golden cooking tool that is often lost in a pellet smoker. I see several new models having multiple slots for the rack and kudos for that!

Thank you!
I’m getting all kinds of good ideas. I won’t give up until I get what I’m looking for!
Al

Beautiful steak, Al.
Gary

Thanks Gary!
Al

Man that steak looks l good, just received some ribeyes from WF, hope mine looks like that! Nice cook

Thanks B, I’m sure your ribeye will be awesome. WF hasn’t disappointed us yet.
Just got a couple of butts, a some more STL’s from them yesterday.
Al

Excellent looking meal Al. Like stated, maybe a bit longer and warmer temp the chunks would smoke

Great looking steak! Those sides got me too! A+

Thanks Guys!
Al

I'm with chopsaw. I find I have to set a pellet machine to ~320F to get the added smoking wood smoking, then when I clearly have the extra desired smoke, reduce the temp control to the low 200's or whatever I want to do the bulk of the cooking at.
These numbers can vary depending on a dozen variables but I think your pictures prove the wood didn't get to do much smoking...just didn't get hot enough to get them going.

OK, I like that idea, How long do the chunks last after they get to smoking?
Al

Great looking steak Al. Not sure if you do but I always add boiling water to pan. I been fairly happy with the Smokehouse pellets from Sam's but I bought the Hickory ones because they had them cheap and got hardly any smoke flavor from them. Will be adding the tube to use these up. I wish I could afford to try those steaks but not in the cards for me. I will just be glad when SS starts in another year.

Thanks Brian, I didn’t buy that steak, it was a gift. I can’t afford them either. I’m not happy with the RT pellets. I think all Lumberjack pellets would give me the flavor I’m looking for. Right now I just need to burn up all these RT pellets. The only thing I don’t like about the tube is I seem to get creosote when I use it, so that’s why I tried the chunks on the burner cover.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky