A labor day weekend smorgasbord (Heavy Q-Vue)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 7, 2017
Flint, Michigan
Hello all; yet another Labor Day thread :-)

Didn't know exactly where to post this as it covers 3 of Old McDonald's farm animals. Feel free to move where ever you choose.

Friday was Wings and Chili's braised belly on the UDS. 350 temps running hickory and cherry chunks. I've started burning minimum charcoal and using as much wood as possible in the barrel and I'm very happy with the change.

Crispy craklin wings

20190831_172343.jpg

Smoked, braised pork belly. Thanks chili! Th inis is a must try even if you don't end up loving it. I had 3 people tell me it was the best pork of mine they've ever eaten. 350 for 3 or 4 hours in the barrel and then 2 hours in the oven at 300.

20190831_191250.jpg

Saturday was burnt ends. Really beginning to get these consistently dialed in just the way everyone likes them. I've tried them in a bunch of different units, but I've been finding the MES has been doing the best consistently. It is a much slower way to do it (over 5 hours pre cubed), but the end product comes out much more predictable. That's what I look for :-)

Here a picture with the braising sauce:

20190901_232745.jpg

And after the extra sauce was removed. More on that in a moment.

20190901_233135.jpg

And on the 7th day, I rested haha.

On to Monday:

Working my way to the bottom of the fridge finally!

20190902_105944.jpg

No pics of the chicken sausage, but honestly who cares. They looked like sausage.

2 halved racks of bb's with a bit of lovin on them headed for the MES, extra slow style.

20190902_120913.jpg

Some of the chick roasts hammered with SPOG and headed for the UDS. These went a t 225 for about 6.5 hours total, almost 5 of those hours unwrapped. After they were wrapped, the barrel got turned up to 300. I love the barrel because it really pushes large cuts of wrapped meat through the stall. Oh, also ive

20190902_135301.jpg

Ribs about 3 hours in. Ive been letting these go over 7 unwrapped hours lately. I really love how the bark/glaze develops on the MES when I run them for the extra long time.

20190902_141622.jpg

Pulled the chucks at probe tender, which was about 206 this time. Ju on the side of course :-)

20190902_193157.jpg

Here come the ribs at the same time (love it when that happens). Remember that sauce we saved from the PBBE's? Well here it is, brushed on the top rack of ribs. Killer stuff. Will be repeating that little diddy. The rack below that one is brushed with hoison, and the two lowest racks brushed with honey. All racks were left on smoker for almost 2 hours after glaze. Really sets it in. Lovely.

20190902_193331.jpg

Sliced:

20190902_194245.jpg

Chuckies sliced:

20190902_194312.jpg

Finally; a close-up. Not too darn bad at all. Ran straight mesquite on these. Very heavy handed amts. Came out purrrfect.

20190902_194254.jpg

That's all folks! Hope

Nice man that all looks great! Points for sure! I had a very similar weekend gotta get it posted up later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!

Lately I've been selling a bit of stuff here and there trying to build somewhat of a financial base.

Some of you may know that I live in a very impoverished area. An area that the "recovery" or whatever other word you want to use will never come to. I have a charitable background. Don't get me wrong, I've never had the money to be philanthropic persay, but I've given years of my time for assorted charities.

I'd love to be able to work something out with some of my local food kitchens. There are many in this area.

I'd be happy to foot the entire bill if I could, bit it's just not feasible at this point. Therefore, I'm trying to attract a bit of coin from those who can afford to benefit those who can't :-)

Edit: I just want to make a quick clarification. This is in NO WAY a solicitation from ANYONE in this community. I was simply trying to explain my motivation for selling a bit of off the books Q to some local interests!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with selling a little Q if possible man. I’m sure a good majority of the people in this forum would sell bbq for a living if it was feasible. Hell if I could do it as a side gig here and there and make enough dough to fund my beer and meat purchases I would be one happy SOB!

Looks like a wonderful spread fivetricks. That is was a very busy weekend. Nicely Done.

Point for sure
Chris

How are you keeping the wood chunks from flashing over and catching fire in your UDS?
Your grub looks amazing.

Well thank you for the compliment :-)

As far as the wood goes:

In terms of volume I'm running 50-60% wood in my basket these days. Don't have any issues with it flashing, but my drum is absolutely air tight. I use a ring top barrel and use the ring to secure the lid every time. All of my pipes are super tight with no play and have red RTV sealed around them in case.

This is what prevents that I believe. I found out early on that even the smallest of airleaks will make the barrel near uncontrollable temp wise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky