A different approach to making Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I been doing several small batch chili recipes trying to come up something I can call my own. Have not had much luck creating something I really like. Kind of just been combining recipes. Today I though would try a different approach. Planned on using a slow cooker and start with a basic recipe using Williams seasoning packet than taste and adjust over several hours. I had some course ground beef that I re-ground than just sprinkled a little at time into hot cast iron pan to get good browning. Took about 6 times for 2.5 lbs beef. This worked great to get browned nicely. About every 45 minutes tasted than added what I thought it needed from some of my home made green hatch chile powder to who knows what now. I added several things and don't have a clue to what and how much I put in there? Just added a little of this and that at a time trying not to overwhelm anything. It came out very good but could never copy it but maybe I don't need to. I think this is a good approach and more enjoyable cook. I still wish I would of took notes which is something I am bad at!

20220223_131915.jpg

Last edited:
Well Brian, I have been doing pretty much the same thing. Just trying different approaches and I think I've finally gotten it dialed in the way we like it. Matter of fact I just got a batch started for dinner this evening. Cold, cloudy, windy, and a Winter storm warning in effect till mid day tomorrow. Was the perfect day for a pot of chili :emoji_wink:

Robert

Well Brian, I have been doing pretty much the same thing. Just trying different approaches and I think I've finally gotten it dialed in the way we like it. Matter of fact I just got a batch started for dinner this evening. Cold, cloudy, windy, and a Winter storm warning in effect till mid day tomorrow. Was the perfect day for a pot of chili :emoji_wink:

Robert
I got this started at 5 this morning. Seemed to be a good day for it. This was kind of fun.

Reactions: negolien
I got this started at 5 this morning. Seemed to be a good day for it. This was kind of fun.

In the slow cooker that would make sense. At 5:00 this morning I was pulling up to my second job of the day for a structural inspection. Got my chili started on the stove as soon as I got home. Smelling great already.

Robert

Nice hahaha!

I'm laughing because I also thought about making some chili for dinner with the frozen weather here in TX today.

I have ground beef in the freezer, canned tomato, store brand rotel cans, and all the spices I need to make it so figured I may as well.

It may be something I make tomorrow instead so I can let the ground meat defrost in the fridge. We'll see.

I'm laughing because I also thought about making some chili for dinner with the frozen weather here in TX today.
I so glad don't have to make that drive to Dallas anymore. That idiot boss did not care how bad the weather was he wanted you to come in! I not getting out. A lot of wrecks being posted.

Reactions: chopsaw
Hey if ya got the time, why not experiment? Some of the best things come out of that process, although not everything :emoji_confounded: Went that route for a while with chili and got to a point we had a repeatable recipe we really liked. Lately, I find going through what it takes to make it takes too much time. When I'm not in the mood to spend time in the kitchen, it's over to our good ol' fast version. Of course, you'll need some frozen smoked brisket. :emoji_yum: Recipe in the sig....

LOL dude as I read that I was thinkin... oh you gonna regret not writing that down lol. I also am soon to do chili with ground beef and chopped up sirloin. I would have done it this week but I just had beans in my baked beans and ribs week

Looks good to me, I tried a lot of years , gave up after trying Bush's chili magic, use chipotle petite tomatoes in place of regular, the method I use is 2 Texas and 1 traditional to keep the heat down, a lbs of burger and 1 can of maters for each can of mix. it's really good every time, not Tonge torch this time and flat the next. I will add peppers any color but green . also onions cant forget those lol

In the slow cooker that would make sense. At 5:00 this morning I was pulling up to my second job of the day for a structural inspection. Got my chili started on the stove as soon as I got home. Smelling great already.

Robert
Did that ice reach you? I stuck in the house for a few days again.

So Brian, how did your chili come out? Ours was a huge success. Was not gonna hijack your thread so I just took one pic of the finished bowl.

This was made with beef tenderloin tips and no beans. sorry, it's a Texas thing :emoji_wink: Deep, rich savory chili flavor, super tender meat, and a beautiful balance of spices. Overall a very good batch. Topped with cheddar, onions, and a dollop of sour cream. We have enough to do chili smothered baked potatoes in a couple days.
004.jpg

After dinner we sit down for a few minutes of TV in front of Tracy's inferno
006.jpg

Not a bad way to spend an evening as the ice storm starts rolling in.

Robert

That's a good looking bowl of red. Mine was very good. Waiting to get into my eating window for another bowl. I try to fast about 20 hours a day during the week. I added one can of beans toward the end and wished I didn't. Liked it better before I added. Kind of got a mushy texture. I'm thinking of a fire on the patio today. Gretchen ready to get out of the house. Normally do a long walk on weekdays. Looks like tomorrow before ice melts.

Your chili looks really good Brian.
I have found that you can take just about any ingredient & make chili with it IF YOU HAVE a good recipe for the sauce part of the chili. Although the meats you use in the chili do change the flavor profile, the liquid part is the most important, IMHO.
Al

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky