A decade and a half down, more to come

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
This year marks a decade and a half of smoking turkeys for thanksgiving. In that time I've gone from low and slow to hot and fast. This years first is not doing a whole bird and instead just doing a 6 pound all natural bone on breast. Still haven't spatched a turkey, but I will later after the first of the year with one of the freebie birds that we have in the freezer. Here is where this years bird is so far.

The Brine

1 1/2 gallons apple juice

1 1/2 cup sea salt

1 1/4 cup brown sugar

several oranges halved and squeezed

hand full peppercorns (white, black,red) hand full whole cloves 6 garlic cloves smashed 3 bay leaves 4 Thai chiles

Simmer that all together for 30 minutes, cool completely.

6 pound breast

Used the small bucket no need for the big guy this year!

And begin!

It's cold enough in the garage right now that the bird can live out there while brining. I don't trust that there aren't creature lurking out there that can open bucket lids so into the cooler just for safe keeping!

Buckets a nit tall to get the cooler lid closed, so the cast iron will hold down the fort!

Now for the wait, Shhhhhhhhh!!!

Pretty cool man, I understand now why folks brine, I just wasn't seeing the big picture! I am always learning here!
Dirt, morning...... looks good...... I'd eat it.....

Dave
Thanks guys! I can't wait to get this bird part into the mini-wsm tomorrow! Just the thought of that breast bathing in pecan and cherry tbs is making me drool!!!!

Nice;

I have spached many turkey's a great way to go about it.  The other way I like to do my birds, of all sizes, is boned.  If you have never removed the skeleton from a bird start with a chicken first.  The best demonstration I have seen is Jacques Pepin, you can find that on youtube.

Good looking breast!!

Looks great as always.

I did my first thanksgiving turkey this year on the UDS.

I see many more to come.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky