A Croissant Journey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
Well the weather took a turn back to Winter the last couple of days (typical March) and I needed something to keep me occupied stuck inside. Some kind of bread, maybe?
I thought about chopsaw's Italian but I had a loaf of sourdough already on the counter. I wanted to try something different and settled on Croissants.
magazine.jpg
1 1/2 cups cold butter
4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
The recipe called for 1 tsp of salt but I didn't use any.
ingrdients.jpg
Mixed the butter slices (1/2") with 3 cups of the flour to coat and into the fridge.
butter.jpg
The remaining 1 cup of flour gets mixed with the yeast and when the milk and sugar are warm (120 to 130f) it gets added with the egg
and mixed on low 30 seconds and high 3 minutes. yeast and milk.jpg
Then mix the 2 mixtures together mixed.jpg
Now things start getting a little weird.
Turn the dough onto a well floured surface and knead 8 times. With a well floured rolling pin roll it out to a 21" x 12" rectangle.
Fold by thirds into a rectangle, loosely wrap and refrigerate for an hour and a half.
20x#1.jpg wrapped.jpg
Then you roll it out into ANOTHER 21" x 12" rectangle, fold in thirds, roll out and repeat 2 MORE TIMES!
You should end up with a 7" x 12" rectangle.
It then gets put in an airtight container overnight, which is good because I needed a break! The instructions said 4 hours to 24 hours.
Next day (about 20 hours later) it was time for the next steps.
Cut the 7 x 12 rectangle into 4 equal pieces 4.jpg
You then roll out each quarter into a 16" x 8" rectangle and cut into triangles.
This dough is really stiff and I wished I had a bigger rolling pin. I took a break between quarters LOL!
8x16.jpg triangle.jpg
Then you roll them up, put them on the (ungreased) pans, cover and let sit in a warm place for a couple of hours.
rolled.jpg in the pan.jpg proofing.jpg
Finally it was time to bake in a 375f oven. First, though, you brush with an egg/water mix. egg wash.jpg
The instructions said 15 minutes but it was more like 20 for them to brown up in my oven.
baked.jpg cut rolls.jpg
OK, they don't look like the rolls in the cookbook picture but they're done, soft and VERY buttery. I ate 2 while doing that last pic....
They're a lot of work and if I do them again I'm definitely getting a bigger rolling pin!!

If you managed to read this whole post I thank you and bake on!
It's another crappy day here but I have pizza to make :emoji_sunglasses:

Dan

Last edited:
Very nice job!! We absolutely love croissants. Problem is that I'd sit there and eat about a dozen of them...nice and warm with lots of butter :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky