A couple of Stufz burgers in the WSM

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokinal, Feb 19, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We went to Sam's yesterday to pick up some supplies for a chili cook-off contest next week. We wanted to try a test run today, because our chili recipe is too hot for normal people. You have to wear a headband to keep the sweat out of your bowl when you eat it. We bought extra ground chuck for stuffed burgers. We bought enough for about 10 - 10 oz. burgers. We smoked 2 for dinner and foodsavered & froze the rest. They were stuffed with mushrooms, onion, garlic, & swiss cheese. Then just before they were done I put another slice of swiss on top. We sauteed the mushrooms, onion, & garlic in olive oil first, then let it cool before stuffing. At first we were having trouble with the meat getting stuck in the press even with spraying Pam before each burger. Then we figured out if you put saran wrap on each side it pops right out all sealed up nice. So here's a few pics.

This is Judy stuffing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then she figured out the saran wrap trick.

[​IMG]

And out pops a perfect burger, all sealed up tight.

[​IMG]

Next into the WSM, they look a little lonely all by themselves.

[​IMG]

After adding a slice of cheese, the're done.

[​IMG]

We had a little stuffing left over so we put it on top.

[​IMG]

Here's a look at the inside.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Now it's on to the chili. Will let you know how that turns out.

2. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Tasty!!!

Craig

3. justpassingthru

justpassingthru Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hey Al,

Those are some good looking burgers with my favorite stuffing's, thanks for the tip about the plastic wrap, I too have had trouble getting them to release from the stuftz.

I just gotta ask, your plates, are the new or old? The reason is my parents had a complete set of dinnerware like that, plates, bowls, cups and saucers in four colors, yellow, orange, green and blue, I used it when I went camping, but they were fragile and broke easy, when I was selling off things before I came here I had some plates, saucers and a large bowl for sale at a garage sale, I sold them for a dollar and a dime, the guy that bought them told me not to touch them or sell them to someone else, he's be right back, when he came back he had some rags that he carefully wrapped them in and and carried them to his car, when I asked him why he was so careful he just said they were "fragile." hmmm,  Later I found out they were depression era and quite valuable, oh well, live and learn, ...so, are yours new or something that has been in the family for a long time?

Gene

4. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good there, Al.......may have to look into one of those stuffer gadgets for myself. Like the way you make use of that old clip <grin>......Hear ya on the chili, I also like to crack a sweat when eating stuff like that. Have a funny story regarding the chili contest at the County Fair in Santa Barbara I entered about 10 years ago. There was some young guys judging a guacamole contest from the local radio station....they came over to the booth where we were making the chili on site. I asked them how they liked their chili & they said spicy hot. Being 1/2 in the bag from beers I kept adding more cayenne to mine 'cause it just didn't seem to be there yet. The longer it cooked the hotter it got. Long story short, the judges appeared for the taste off....turns out it was 3 old reporters from the newspaper, 2 women & a male. I about killed them....LMAO....still laugh over that to this day. Good luck with the contest!!

5. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good Looking Burgers Al!

Todd

6. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Great looking burgers AL!!!!

7. Those look great!  Mushroom-Swiss are some of my favorites, especially off the smoker.  Yum!

8. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice job Al----You and your daughter Judy make a Great team!

Mighty tasty looking Stuffz Burgers!

Thanks,

Bear

9. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those look really really good Al!

10. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Great looking burgers....I like the saran wrap trick. [​IMG]

11. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Al those are great looking burgers. Would love to do a trade with you. Chili recipe for some home roasted coffee. Let me know if you are in

12. smokinal

Thanks Gene,

The plates are old but not antiques and there pretty durable.

Thanks Bear, 

You just made Judy's day, she read your post and said she was going to make us Belgium waffles for breakfast. My favorite! Thanks Buddy! 

Thanks for the offer Scar,

I'll gladly accept some of your home roasted coffee, but it's not necessary. I plan to post the recipe on Tuesday as we make the chili, with some Qview. I will also PM it to you, along with my address in case you want to send a care package.

Thanks, Al

13. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

LOL---That's what I'm here for, and I aim to please.

Belgium Waffles???  

I can taste them just thinking about them!!!

My favorite too !!!

Bear

14. funkyboy

funkyboy Fire Starter

Great looking burgers. What the temp. how long.. I'm new at this sure looks super....I'm also from MN,

Session data

15. smokinal

Smoked them at 225 until the internal meat temp was 165. Took about 2 hours.

16. dewetha

dewetha Smoking Fanatic

good use of leftovers! :)

make me hungry and I already had lunch [​IMG]

17. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome and thanks for the tip on the saran wrap.

18. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those look great, Al!  Beef, cheese, onions, garlic and mushrooms.  How can you beat that?

Good luck and good smoking.

19. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

20. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep one of my favorites.